Mini starter for a 66

65-coupe

Does anybody know if there is a mini starter to fit my 66 with a T5. I have the two bolt bell with a 136 flywheel.

Thanks Brian

I know that the FE motor starters work (such as the 352 or the 390), but I think that might only be with the two bolt starter.

2 bolts are hard to find. I had a buddy at our machine shop weld extra material onto my 3 bolt starter collar and drilled it to match my 2 bolt bell pattern. Worked really well, but would have preferred not needing to.

hello sir....
i got an powermaster 9103,powermax 160 ft-lb SB Ford.
but you have to made an adapter,most starters are 3 bolt,
connected.

greetzz,,JD.

we put a hitachi mini starter on the racecar. it was a blessing, as it is adjustable. a series of holes allows you to rotate the starter body for maximum clearance. combined with a blanket has worked perfectly. it's for an FE, and i picked it up in charlotte, at the autofair, for $100.

bill

I tried an FE starter on a 200-I6 and it would not fit. Will the recommended starters fit the 200 with a T5?

Rick

Hey Rick,
How are things on the East side of the burbs? Isn't this California Summer weather great ;)

Here's where I think the confusion on the mini-starter lies. The FE 3-bolt starter will swap with a 200 3-bolt (typically automatics of the C4 variety IIRC). Also, AFAIK that same FE 3-bolt starter will work with early 3-bolt manual tranny bells (65& earlier...small bells for the 8.5" flywheel). So that's where folks get the FE mini-starter swapping to the 200 (3-bolt variety)...unfortunately I don't know the answer for the 2 bolt mini.

Based on the eBay's listing, I'd say 'yes it will' and 'no it won't' work. He's listed its application on 3.3l's anywhere from ~'63 to '74....but this part is the real kicker (from the listing)...

"Replaces the 3 bolt FE 360,390,427 and 428 starter all with automatic or manual transmissions.

This is a 2 bolt starter with BOTH BOLT HOLES ARE UNTHREADED."

That leaves me scratching my head :unsure:: He's out of Dallas, so return shipping would not be bad if it doesn't work (provided he's open to that). However, as yet I'm not sure if anyone has unraveled the 200ci, 2-bolt mini-starter puzzle outside of JDN's solution. If you figure it out, I'd like to know. Good luck (y)
...aluminum head build isn't it!?...I'm officially jealous :nod:

Robert,

That is good info. I had not known there was a difference in the auto and manual starters. Also, I did not note the guy is in Dallas. I will go to his shop next week with my starter and see if we can make a match.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Rick

Frankenstang":1zjku5hc said:
Based on the eBay's listing, I'd say 'yes it will' and 'no it won't' work. He's listed its application on 3.3l's anywhere from ~'63 to '74....but this part is the real kicker (from the listing)...

"Replaces the 3 bolt FE 360,390,427 and 428 starter all with automatic or manual transmissions.

This is a 2 bolt starter with BOTH BOLT HOLES ARE UNTHREADED."

The 2 bolt will replace a 3 bolt. The bolt holes being unthreaded shouldn't be a problem. I have not taken mine apart in a while. But, either the tranny will be threaded or unthreaded. If the tranny is unthreaded you just use a lock nut on the other end. If it is threaded. Then no nut.

Just as the RobbMC starter or the CVR here: http://www.competitionproducts.com/CVR- ... o/CVR5049/

The main difference in the regular manual or auto starter is the nose cone. If I remember correctly. The manual nose cone sticks out farther. This happened to me when I broke down 250 miles away from home. I just ground the nose down a bit with a wrench and the concrete.

Back