Help with picking a Carb/ cant find what I need

Ron R

So I rebuilt a 200ci with a late model square log head, its an all stock rebuild with .30 over pistons, stock cam, stock exhaust manifold.
Stock everything.

The 200 replaced a 170 in my 1963 Falcon Convertable auto car.
I had planned on using the stock manual choke carb, and redrilled the aluminum base plate to fit the late model head.
I performed my first rebuild on the carb and I thought I did a good job. I installed the carb and the car fired right up, but would not idle.
I thought I messed up on the carb rebuild so I took it off and sent it off to a local shop for inspection/rebuild. The shop said the power valve in the top hat of the carb is toast and the top part of the carb is corroded to much to be rebuilt.

So now I am looking for a carb to install but have no idea what to use.
I would like to keep the manual choke and an all stock looking apperance. I can not seam to find a 1963 manual choke auto carb.
Does anyone have any sugestions of a place to find a carb or recomendations of a differnt one to use?
This is not a show car, just a nice driver.
Thanks for the help

I'd start with the usual suspects... local parts store and
Mike at Classic Inlines
http://classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=120

It says prices are not posted but he may have one available.

Which carb do you have? (a picture if you have one)
On the Autolites I have at home it looks like the choke components can be swapped from an auto choke to a manual choke (and vice versa) as long as you have them both at the same time.
-ron

autolight 1100
I have checked fleebay, C-list, Local classics, everyone I know with a stach of Mustang or Falcon parts.
Most only have late model stuff (65+) And I am not sure it would work.

"newer" is Ok so long as it is '67 or older and has the Spark Control Valve (SCV) built in to it. Anything '68 or newer will physically fit, but won't work with your original distributor (Load-O-Matic -- LOM). If you upgraded your distributor to a '68 or newer then you could use any autolite (old or new) but you'd have to make sure you re-plumb the vacuum to the distributor and plug off the SCV on the carb.

-ron

I had got a rebuilt stock dizzy.

Sounds good I will start looking again.
So anything from 63-67 will work, and I can add my manual choke to the electric

Thank you for the help.
Keep an eye out for me please

Autolites can be found, cheaper if you have longer to look. I have a few, I have been considering selling them, but was really only considering selling them to Mike as he needs cores..

Got any pictures of your Falcon? Here's one of our 1963.5 (260/4spd) I am supposed to go get this car one of these days, Dad 'gave' it to me a couple years ago but with work and family I just haven't had time..(or money) to fix it.

More 1963.5 Falcon Pictures This car has been in storage as long as I have had concious memory (I turned 38 earlier this year)

Three of my core Autolite 1100's (one of them was rebuilt and another is in my carb dip tank)

The middle one has had the stock choke mechanism replaced with a manual kit from O'Reily's

Eons (or so it seems) I took apart one of my 1100's and shot a lot of pictures while doing it.
Autolite 1100 Rebuild
OK, I never finished the photoshoot, but there are tons of pictures of an Autolite coming apart in that last album.

One last question.. you say you have a rebuilt stock dizzy... stock for the car, or stock for the late model 200 that you had rebuilt?

Do you know for certain what year your 200 is and that it had a LOM dizzy in it? It may be a single (or double) vacuum advance distributor requiring a newer carb.
-ron

I was told the 200 was from 1974 and the head was from 1980
I ordered a dizzy for a 1965 mustang 200.

There is a difference with an anti-stall dashpot (I think that's what it is called) if you look at this picture

You will see that the carburator on the far right does not have the rod that comes from the accelerator pump up over the top of the carb.

And I'm sorry but I don't remember which is which for certain, but I know the carb in the middle came off of a '66 Mustang 200/2.77 (manual) car, so maybe its the automatics that don't have the extra dashpot/bleed off arm on the top?

A stock '65 Distributor should be a LOM.
-ron

the automatics that don't have the extra dashpot/bleed off arm on the top?

I can't C anything in the pic.
We used to say a choke pull off (mechanics of that day's lingo) were called that cuz they were just for the auto and mechanics would "pull" them "off" all the other cars (manuals). Might have been a early era (TS) bulletin telling the ford (dealer) mechanics that: "all vehicles were released with this but it is not needed on manual transmission vehicles." and to pull them off all vehicles that come into the service bays.
HTH -

The ideal carb to work with your combination of a large log head and load-o-matic distributor would be an Autolite 1101 with SCV, commonly found on larger 240 sixes from 63-67. You would also need a larger carb spacer for the carb since it would be silly to have the larger carb to match the larger intake and then have your old smaller spacer between the two. I have a few of these carbs in the garage, but don't know if any have the automatic trans diaphragm as well, I'll take a look.

Back