Turbo questions

Falconman62

Hey guys had some questions that I am pretty sure you can answer. I have a friend of mine that is thinking of putting a turbo from an 80's T-bird turbo coupe on a 200. Will this turbo work with the 200? What kind of boost approx.? Is a junkyard turbo worth the trouble?

I'm no pro but also researching turbo's , the TBird I believe used the very successful 2.3 liter four cylinder turbo setup. The high-revving smaller displacement 2.3 would probably optimally use a very different turbo application but depends on your expectations.

I'm researching which available turbo's of the name-brand (Garrett,Turbonetics, Precision...) and also "E-BAy" generic offshore knockoffs would work for a turbo-built 200/250. The Turbo Map is bible for figuring application but info is somewhat sketchy or non-existent on some turbo's. Complicating things is that the E-Bay offshore knockoffs use any false OEM description that will get search "hits".

On an aside: the T-Bird SuperCoupe uses 3.8 liter V6 with Supercharger that has been adapted for the six...

have fun and post pics!

The TurboCoupe used two turbos. '84-'86 used a pretty big Garrett T3 (.60 AR IIRC) and the '87-'88 used a very small IHI. The exhaust inlet flange is the same between them (T3-style) but I believe the exhaust outlet is different. Also, the T3s have a two-bolt Ford-style compressor outlet, but I think the IHI's have a standard round outlet. Either should be fine for a low-boost application - the IHI would probably offer some scary-good low-RPM responsiveness on a big ol' 3.3l!

8) i think the IHI turbo would be the better choice for the 200, unless you are also installing a much better cylinder head, like the aluminum one classicinlines sells.

new head AND turbo...this IS getting interesting (read outta my price range). I love seeing this info here (don't hafta change forums) but the real scoup is probably over on that form of our site.

How bout the boost Q above? What would the answ. B w/o special bolts or head changes, etc - other mods...

Back