Leaking oil

72maverick

Hello,

After driving the car around after a rebuild, I noticed some black oil dripping out from above the #2 freeze plug (74 200 block). So we pulled the head, noticed the bolts were loose and tightened them back up. After, noticed that it was stilll leaking and saw it leaking water just below the #2 spark plug (and water in the oil). Then I read if the head has been milled significantly, washed may need to be added to head bolts since they would be bottoming out. Fairly sure this was the problem. SO pulled the head again, added the washers. Seemed fine. Not as much smoke. THe next day, it started leaking from about the Freeze plug again. The block was checked with a straight edge to see if it was true (it was). The head was professionally rebuilt, twice (how the washer idea came about). So, I am stumped as to what else it could be. I don't want to think about a cracked head since it was rebuilt. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

hey, ur past the limit (got 39) so can post pic now (25 posts + = the ability 2 post, I believe). Think that would help diagnosis?

Is that rings then? 1) Black smoke from the tail pipe? too rich carb? rings?
2) White from the tail pipe? water vapor/steam (or also, not sure here tho) - too rich on carb as well.
May B it's actually spitting oil out the tail pipe? (I had a motorcycle did that).

Sorry I was noting a pic of the engine would be of use for diagnosis (on the oil leaks). Not sure now, and it will have to wait till you're in the location (& have a digital camera) again...

No black smoke. Black oil. Same that is leaking about the freeze plugs. I don't think it's the rings. When we added the washers and the new gasket on it stopped. Then the block started leaking and smoke started. Blue and white smoke. Once the block leaks it smokes. It would smile before if it was the rings right? And water in the oil

It seems H2O & oil R in the combustion chamber that = a failure in the rebuild. Oil in the H2O jacket as well. I'd say it's time to stop running it and rebuild...
8^ (
Sorry.
Not sure where 2 take measurements to C if this is even a rebuildable engine. Let's C if any experts pipe in here...

If you're still up for a few tests you could.

Pull the spark plugs and examin them.

Do a compression test and if good try a leak down test.

Get a rig to pump air into the radiator and check for where the air leaks out if any.

Report all results here.

Well the plugs are bone dry and have been. They read well. Don't have supplies for a compression test. Maybe whEn I get some time. When I checked the side of the block recently, it shows black oil around the 1st and 2nd freeze plug. I took a picture but no sure how to post

"Don't have supplies for a compression test (on the H2O jacket)"

many prts stores will have one on loan (not sure how far 1 may B from U, they're free when brought back/get ur $ back then).

Back