Reason for lack of power found but how do I fix it?

66mustang0103

I noticed ever since I got my 66 mustang back on the road that it seemed a little "held back" and im not the only one to think so. Was playing with the carb a little the other night (cleaning some trash out), and I think I realized why. I have a classic inlines dual out header and love it! But when we installed it the throttle linkage was hitting on of the tubes. So we thought no big deal raised the linkage up and thought nothing of it. Well when I took the carb apart I found out that with the gas pedal to the floor the throttle body is only coming open about half way. Is this normal? I will try and get so pictures uploaded soon for anyone to better understand. Thanks Josh

FYI 200ci, autolite 1100 carb, and a c-4. The header is the only modification done to date.

Depending on how you shortened the throttle linkage, you might've caused it to have an issue.

If you moved the rod that pulls on the linkage closer to the pivot point that would cause it to not open as much (because you have a shorter radius)

We shortened it as much as possible to keep the linkage from hitting the header so I was thinking the same thing as you. I wil hopefully take some pictures wednesday night and post em up for ya'll to see.

Thanks Josh

You have to bend the Z-bar to clear the headers. It is sitting up too high and you are not getting the full accelerator throw.
Should look like this when you are done. Note, the you will have to pull the accelerator pedal up from the floor to get the full arc of travel.
IMG_0222.jpg

I heated the z-bar with a propane torch and bent it while very hot. You can do the same at the accelerator but I just kept pulling up until it was in spec.
Another view.
IMG_0150.jpg

I can confirm lugwigs way... I did that too... I have since converted to throttle cable and still have the z-bar... left me know if you're instrested as i think you shortened yours.

You would save a lot of trouble just getting MPGmustang's Z-bar. I actually went through two of them before I got this right. It kind of felt like dumb luck coming out right and all.

I had to bend the Z-bar when I put my Cliffy header on. I think I used a small pipe wrench "side ways" and bent the business end down lower. And yes I too had about 3/4 opening of the throttle blade before the Z-bar was "adjusted". You'll like the new found power with the carb 100% open!! :beer:

tanx!

Back