Tiny flecks of metal...

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
So, what's an appropriate amount of metal flecks in your oil filter after < 1000 miles on rebuild?
Are these coming from the DUI stock gear on the new comp cam... I wonder... because I didn't really measure where the dizzy gear was running in relation to the cam gear. might do that.
I ran my oil over a super strong magnet when draining - they weren't steel.
They measure about 1/16th inch and less...
I disassembled the oil filter, there were some in there, not a whole lot, but some...

This was the 2nd oil change. Rebuilt engine. Oil had soaked up some soot from trying to get things tuned and timed. It was black, kinda smelled like gas.

Took a drive after fresh oil yesterday. Will go read the plugs in a bit, sniff the oil.

- Perry

8) this is why you change the oil early and often with a new engine. those bits of metal are wear particles that are normal in the forst 3000-5000 miles. they should decrease over time. if not you have a lubrication issue.

Initial observation can panic you , but ALL will have tiny flecks , no way around it , they ( as posted ) will diminish , cutting open an oil filter is an education , but can also cause non lethal panic attacks , LOL

I say if you can't read a part number in the stuff in the oil you're doing OK! Sounds normal from what I've seen. And changing oil often after a rebuild is cheap insurance...

Thanks all for the encouraging words and saving my blood pressure! On a side note - peeling open the oil filter was a first for me. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show the internals of various manufacturers. I suggest watching it. Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that the Napa Gold Series filters are about as good a design as you're going to find. Coincidentally, the Pronto made in China that I had pulled off and opened up was built pretty well... metal end caps, 50 pleats (no, I didnt measure the sq area), a coil spring, fairly heavy gauge can.
Obviously, Made in USA and supporting American manufacturing and voting with our dollars to those providing jobs to our families is good business and consumerism. Next oil change is going to be Driven which is a brand by Joe Gibbs Racing's R&D spinoff - Driven Racing Oil. I say R&D as opposed to Marketing Spinoff.

Yeah, end rant... thanks :)

Back