1983 3.3 Ugrade questions

1983gtturbo

I have a few questions.

The car: 1983 Ford LTD Wagon 3.3, runs and drives great 90k miles.
The questions:
I want to upgrade the exhust system from the exhust manifold back. Can I use the factory exhust manifold from a pre emissions car, say 65-78, and how can I tell if a manifold is from a 200,250,300 and do they fit each motor or are they specific to each motor?

Is the head on a 83 the same as a 65-78? Or are they different due to the emissions.

How do I tell if my engine has a high or low mount starter?

Has anyone done any upgrades to an 79-83 3.3 motors?

Thank you in advance for your help

1983gtturbo":1car0eqc said:
I have a few questions.

The car: 1983 Ford LTD Wagon 3.3, runs and drives great 90k miles.
The questions:
I want to upgrade the exhust system from the exhust manifold back. Can I use the factory exhust manifold from a pre emissions car, say 65-78, and how can I tell if a manifold is from a 200,250,300 and do they fit each motor or are they specific to each motor?

Is the head on a 83 the same as a 65-78? Or are they different due to the emissions.

How do I tell if my engine has a high or low mount starter?

Has anyone done any upgrades to an 79-83 3.3 motors?

Thank you in advance for your help

If the engine is gray, its low mount, if blue its high mount. The 4.125" stock exhast pipe is all you'll ever need, just make two pancaked pipes of 3 inches /(they get crimped to 2 inches, and taper them down to 1.875 inches)

Run one under the back of the sump like a front drive Corolla AE92 does, and the other out the back normally. You create a 5.0 style dual exhast. Run two quick light off cats as per 5.0 Fox V8. Then direct mount a DGAS 38 Weber on a fully opened up log, and leave all the emissions gear intact. Take 100 thou off the head, and run a 264 cam with a revised ignition timing. Run an extra snorkel 5.0 GT style, and ream out the main venturi from the stock 29/29 mm to 33/33, and you'll have a close to 500 cfm carb. Use the two Explorer 4.0 oxygen sensors, and convert to TFI via a Chevy HEI unit in the Duraspark case, and burn a recurved ignition. There is a common fuel control valve that can enrichen or lower air fuel ratios for the AIR system. The 6500 series carbs ran it, and it allows you to tune your car to suit.

Others here are getting close to 200 hp with a 500 cfm carb and good exhast and good cam.

If its low mount, fit an AOD with higher stall 2350 converter from a 3.8 or 5.0 GT HO sepc Mustang or LX Fox. If high mount go to the C3 bell housing, and bolt on Explorer 4 or 5 stage auto from a TBI 165 HP engine. Diff ratio should be changed to 3.27 or 3.45

Get the falcon six guidebook from the main site (fordsix.com) or from classicinines.com

Read this site for awhile. You will be surprised at how technical (see xtacy above) these guys are, and a bit nutty with the sixes.
Search and search again, most questions have been asked and answered at least once.

Quickly, and from someone that hasn't had a six in 10 years...

You can't easily remove the integrated cat, but the secondary can be replace, a good 2" exhaust with a decent muffler can be added on the cheap, though if you don't have a dual out with x-pipe droning is common at highway speeds.

The heads are different, E0 heads have hardened valves and a larger log (read: intake). I think the valves might be a bit larger, but I can't recall.

Starter: I can't remember, I think it has something to due with how many bolts hold it on, a quick search should find it.

Yes, lots of upgrade to that motor, I had one with a decked head, bored .040 over, and a melling cam upgrade, larger single exhaust, etc.. was fun, but needed more breath.

Remember it's a fox-body, so it looks just like a 79-86 Mustang underneath there.
It's essentially the same so anything that fits a Mustang will fit, you just need to hook it in.
Unless your exhaust system already needs replacing I doubt it's worth the expense.

Funky Cricket":zqjc12i4 said:
You can't easily remove the integrated cat, but the secondary can be replaced, a good 2" exhaust with a decent muffler can be added on the cheap, though if you don't have a dual out with x-pipe droning is common at highway speeds.

The primary cat isn't on all Ford sixes, it depended on application. If it has one, and its legal, its dead easy to remove, four bolts and its off if you are patient, but its easier to do it with a starter removed, an EGR plug spanner, and while removing the head. I used an axe to remove my EGR to get to the cat shroud so I could take it off, but Ford has an EGR/AIR exhast plug removal tool which allows the six feet of 1/2" EGR tubing to be removed in order to get a free swing at the cat removal. If you want to do it without EGR/AIR removal, you gotta take the battery out and raise the engine and unbolt the engine mounts and take car of the radiator hoses. The log six is hard to work on it the Fox, due to the fan shroud and some tight spaces on the x-member, but its easier than doing exhasts headers on a 4.2 or 5.0

Im pretty sure the long wheel base Fox sixes didn't always get the primary cat, and its easy to put a dual out exhast on the big 4.25" out let, and make use of a V8 cat back system. For years, front drive cars have been putting exhasts from the front to under the sump, to the back of the car with a flex braided joint, the post 1980 big exhast cars are a gem to modify if the don't have a primary cat fitted.

Once the exhast system is unplugged, and the oxy sensor is worked through, you can do a heck of a lot with the stock iron header engine. Putting a tube header or early 1.75, 1.875 or 2" outlet iron header is not very smart when FoMoCo did all the work on getting the blue and grey E headed engines 4.25" header to flow as well as it did. In fact, even early 1981 to 1983 B and X code engine have an o2 sensor which is just an EGR device, but its still an 02 sensor mounted in the primary cat body.

Further more, the ideal set up for an I6 is the Holden Special 179X2/186 HP/ Holden Torana GTR style iron header, which just needs a divider to be place back up the iron header to ensure the cylinders 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 don't merge. This ends up copying the early Jag XK6 set up, which improves torque to the best and lowest curve, with no power loss up high. Been proven time and time again that headers on a non cross flow without a heat shield create too much heat soak, and wont make the power gains in service that they do on an engine mounted dynomometer. I'm not saying don't put a tube header on a late model I6, just know that if you do the dyno testing, the later E series Ford 3.3 exhast is hard to beat, and Ford wouldn't have put it on unless there was good reason. Another 4 hp is found with it on a 88 hp engine, 92 hp or more with a dualor single cat 3.3engine meeting stricter emissions.

Thanks for all the info. What I want to do is remove all the smog stuff off the motor. I was thinking of changing the intake and exhust manifold to a pre smog year which im thinkg in the early 70's. I really dont want to change the head so my guess is that a intake and exhust manifold would all be the same from the 60's-70's and would bolt to my 83 head. How would I be sure, I have done a few searches on line but nothing really says yes or no. Any idea where I can find this info?
:thanks:

Maybe look for a '78 vintage like mine.
It doesn't have the big cat pipe but it does have a couple of holes for EGR stuff which are easily plugged with brass pipe fittings. Look for something with the 2" outlet, I've seen 'em on ebay.
Or maybe it's time for some headers? :LOL:

1983gtturbo":274azgnp said:
Thanks for all the info. What I want to do is remove all the smog stuff off the motor. I was thinking of changing the intake and exhust manifold to a pre smog year which im thinkg in the early 70's. I really dont want to change the head so my guess is that a intake and exhust manifold would all be the same from the 60's-70's and would bolt to my 83 head. How would I be sure, I have done a few searches on line but nothing really says yes or no. Any idea where I can find this info?
:thanks:

I don't advocate removing smog stuff ever, but that's just me. Smog gear is just 4 percent off the performance of a small i6. If you are stuck with an 8.4:1 compression and AIR/EGR and fuel control valve and the other 12 emissions devices, you can still make 175 hp with the right cam,emissions era 2-bbl carb and exhast work. If you plane the head the maximum amount (100 to 120 thou) and use a 25 thou steel gasket and the right pistons, you can skyrocket the compression up to 13:1 and get 220 hp out of a 3.3 just using pump grade 87 octane and anti detonation water or alchol injection. The later big chamber head is great for flow, but it is down 20 cfm on the smaller chamber cc of a planed head. Everytime you plane a head, it gets closer to the better early 144/170/200 C1 code 52 cc heads, which flowed even better when planed 120 thou. At that, you have a 34 cc head which is 20 cfm up on the stock 105 cfm flow rate figure at 25" H20. Even an old 1960 to 1965 small chamber head flows better nthan the bigger camber 1965 to 1969 heads. The later heads flow better and have larger intake valves, but they lose compression ratio, and even with 1.65 early valve heads, they are about line ball for power. When you start planeing a later post 75 large intake valve, large log head, and opening up the log for extra carburation, you then start showing huge gains in power and cfm, but stock, the smaller logs early logs with higher compression are still pretty good items, especially when you hog the log out for better induction systems. In any case, you can make what is there on a Fox or late model X body work as good as the best small log, it just means you have to raise the compression a little.

In some cases, 120 thou removed by planing is close to junking a Ford I6 iron head, but 100 thou leaves a little room for further future work. Any time you plane a Ford I6 head, you gain cfm, reduced flame travel and as long as your ignition timing is pegged back for total advance, and ramped up for static timing to beyound what is stated on the emissions tag, you'll avoid detonation and pinking if you use the recomended advance ramps I've discussed in my ignition posts.

The exhast that is there on post 80 Foxes is the best exhast Ford ever made for I6's, and its regularly bagged because its not understood. In long wheel base Fox Fords (105.5 and 108.4" 80-82 Tbirds, most Fairmonts, most Granadas, most Zephyrs and most conpact LTD's) the B and X code engine didn't always get the screen converter.

The screen converter is a primary cat on some 3.3 and 4.1 engines, or a "foot ball converter" as its called often. It was cfm just a fine gauze item in the heat shield which carried an O2 sensor and in the days of leaded fuel, it would clog up when an Unleaded 3.3 was repeat miss filled with Lead gas.

Now, if you remove the primary cat, or your car is the long wheel base Fox without it, you can put in a splitter and a dual outlet exhast using either two 2" pipes routed around the low or even the high mount starter, they were still being made as options until 1983. Or your keep that passenger side exhast, and just add one front drive 4FC twin cam Toyota Corolla or Chevy Nova flexiable cross over pipe which runs the front exhast under the sump on AE92 Toyota based cars. It allows you to run a full dual exhast system V8 style with the stock V8 hookups like on the performance V8 Foxs and SN 95's, just like this one.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3827.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3826.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3825.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3824.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3823.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3822.jpg
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... G_3821.jpg

All you have to do is put a flat plate and two 2 or even 2.125" pipes out of the exsiting 4.25" iron header, and run a vertical splitter plate from the flange on up to the ports between exhast 3 and 4, and your stock large log will flow like a dual out 4.9 EFI or 230/250 cube OHC Pontiac. I've studied a lot of engine dyno reports of I6 engines with this type of header, and a benchmark was the ancient GM Holden 179 X2/186S/161-186-202 GTR Torana dual out header. The dyno figures on all i6's show that a dual out iron exhast makes more power if the ports are short; they don't need long branches. By the same token, if you run a heat shield to remove exhast heat, and use a set of any long branch header, you don't loose top end power, but you to loose low end torque unless you have a certain type of header. I've discussed this before. The stock 4.25" log exhast used on 80's era Henries is just fine as a performance piece, and if done right, it can eclipse tube headers, BUT I'M NOT BAGGIN' TUBE HEADERS ON SMALL I6'S, okay?

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5554&p=38262&hilit=+how+aussies+build%2A+#p38262

The idea with the six is to use a heat shield to cover the exhast header heat, like Peaugeot Bills race car Fox Mustang
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... ecar02.jpg

, or Mustang Geezers early log headed I6.

Then you add a triad of 278 to 435 cfm 55 to 79 GM Rochester 2 Jet carbs and a big single paper element air cleaner for the ultimate sleeper 3.3, or just a routed out 5200 Holley Weber which is normally a 269 cfm carb at 3.0" Hg flow pressure with the small venturis of the 2.3 liter 1980 Fords Fox Lima engine, or a 291 cfm at 3.0" Hg carb from the 1970 to 1979 2.3 liter Ford Pintos, MUSTANG II and Foxes, or Capris and Fox Capris. When Ford used either the 2.6 and 2.8 Cologne V6's, it had 291 cfm form from 1974 to 1980 in it. When modifed for maximum flow, you get a 350 cfm at 3.0 " Hg carb with 30 and 31 mm routed out holes, up from the 26 and 27 mm they had stock.

Thats the same flow as a 7448 Holley 350 2-bbl, but a stock emissions era carb that doesn't mind a really big 274 degree camshaft.

This is the exhast in low mount application

Here it is in high mount form

and the view up into the front and back branch which just needs dividing to make power.

There is a night and day comparison between early and later exhast sizes.

Size really does matter...

Here is the solution to dual exhast if you don't want to undersling a flexiable joiner

1965Pony":308fziok said:
Here are pictures of it. It's actually pretty clean and evidence of a rebuild at one point is there . The block does have the EXXX BB on it .
inline6.jpg

inline62.jpg

Thanks for all the great in depth info . Hopefully I will have her up and running this weekend.

Thanks :beer: for all the info, so from what I understand I can use an late 60's early 70's non smog intake and exhaust manifolds on my current 83 motor. All the vacume lines and current smog and EGR valves dont work the lines are all cracked and the smog pump is locked up. So I removed almost everything and capped off anything that at this point cant be removed. I want a clean look to the engine. Cars runs 100% better, replaced any remaing need vacume lines as well as any rubber lines that need to be replaced. So the last part is to remove the primery CAT as well as the one under the car. We have NO emmision testing in FL so its not like I need it. :thanks:

1983gtturbo":1hteo23q said:
Thanks :beer: for all the info, so from what I understand I can use an late 60's early 70's non smog intake and exhaust manifolds on my current 83 motor. All the vacume lines and current smog and EGR valves dont work the lines are all cracked and the smog pump is locked up. So I removed almost everything and capped off anything that at this point cant be removed. I want a clean look to the engine. Cars runs 100% better, replaced any remaing need vacume lines as well as any rubber lines that need to be replaced. So the last part is to remove the primery CAT as well as the one under the car. We have NO emmision testing in FL so its not like I need it. :thanks:

If you look closer you will find that the intake manifold is not a removable casting, but is integrated into the head itself. Yeah, I know... it sucks. You might find your carb could use a jet change after the disconnection of the egr, i increased mine about 4 sizes if I recall correctly and it ran great therefter. If you do remove the gigantic 4" cat at the manifold, you may have to do some fab work to make a 2 inch exhaust work with it.

Good luck to you!

First fox thanks for the heads up on the intake. I have an exhaust manifold from a 66 mustang that had a I6. Will this work on the 83 head?

1983gtturbo":oop7ty89 said:
First fox thanks for the heads up on the intake. I have an exhaust manifold from a 66 mustang that had a I6. Will this work on the 83 head?

It should work, but what Xstacy has been trying to tell you is that the stock 83 exhaust manifold with the big 4+ inch dump into the convertor is the way to go. Think about it. The 66 header has a 2" output, the 83 has more than 4"! Find a local muffler shop and have them make you a flat plate that bolts to where the primary converter used to be and has 2 big pipes funneling down to 2 2" down pipes. There is plenty of room in the Fox body engine compartment for 2 2" pipes between the starter and the K member. My 24 Hours of Lemons Futura runs dual 2" pipes straight back from where the 2nd convertor use to be to twin glass packs then out just in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side. There is plenty of room under there as long as you aren't lowering the car too much.

And lowering the Fox chassis too much will screw with all kinds of geometry stuff, so I don't suggest doing it. About 2" max is all you can do before the front end camber curve gets bad (or worse) and the rear starts to bind up in corners.

To tell if you have a high or a low starter motor open the hood and have a look. The high starter is mounted right below the exhaust manifold, the low starter is mounted down by the oil pan.

These late model smog motors really need more compression and a bigger cam to make more power. If you aren't willing to open up the motor to mill the head and put in a new cam about the only thing you can do is install the higher ratio rocker arms from Classic Inlines. I seriously doubt there will be much improvement though. And it actually will nearly cost the same as a valve job/mill and cam, not including the labor of putting it in.

Hey Parkwood are you a member of FEP? Thanks for the info, I am going to look into all my options.
Thanks everyone :mrgreen: :thanks:

parkwood60":1ueqa12q said:
...... There is plenty of room in the Fox body engine compartment for 2 2" pipes between the starter and the K member. My 24 Hours of Lemons Futura runs dual 2" pipes straight back from where the 2nd convertor use to be to twin glass packs then out just in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side. There is plenty of room under there as long as you aren't lowering the car too much......

You can even run a second pipe under an SROD or C3/C4 auto like the 2.3 carb turbo's did. They had an optional C3 auto for 1980 model year, so therefore any auto will take an under trans cross over pipe to make even two separate duals an easy fit up.

1983gtturbo":wdtp9eku said:
Hey Parkwood are you a member of FEP? Thanks for the info, I am going to look into all my options.
Thanks everyone :mrgreen: :thanks:

Yes, but their forum wouldn't let me use a Yahoo Mail account, so I had to use a different account. My name on there is BRWSaver. There is only one person crazy enough to try to road race a Fox body with a 200 in it in 24 Hours of Lemons when it would be easier to swap in a V8, or even a 2.3L Pinto motor.

I am performing very valuable work durability testing and real world performance enhancement that haven't really been done since Ak Miller stopped beating on them for Hot Rod.

Does anyone have photos of the "dual-out" adapter bolted on in place of the cat? I have one of those manifolds and thought there must be something cool to do with it. They're kind of goofy looking with the cat, but it looks like the volume is HUGE.
-Stu

1983gtturbo":l2gkbz1t said:
Rod,
Do you ever race in FL? I would come see ya...
Eddie

No, no one on the team owns a trailer, so we have to rent for every race. We also don't have an RV as a tow vehicle. Between those 2 things a multi day road trip really starts to eat up money and wear down the drivers. As we get better it may be worth it, who knows. Of course the season ending championship race tends to be in the south east somewhere, so if we were to get invited, or qualify for that we may make the effort.

Back