First Build

Preface: This is my first real project on any car. I am 23 and purchased a 66 mustang last October without knowing much about it. I had just returned home from Afghanistan, and drove it pretty hard for two months before it threw a rod bearing. I don't fully know what I am doing, but I'm not afraid to try. I am currently in school at Appalachian State University and can only work on the car when I come home for drill, so it will be pretty slow goings. I'll be updating my progress periodically, and I will need a LOT of help. Thanks guys.

fordsix.jpg

Thus far I have removed the engine and completely disassembled it.
When the Rod bearing went, the crank flattened out the end of the connecting rod making it impossible to remove from the block. I took a hacksaw to it and lopped the end of the rod off (I assume this was the correct course of action?)

184458_4722557296441_1036591588_n.jpg

Any how, I got ahold of an old 200 from Carolina Mustang in Cary, NC (great place, delivered the engine to my house and helped me out) for $300.
From the engine I took...
two connecting rods
large log intake
exhaust header
DS1 distributor (I think. I'll post pictures to identify and see if it is salvageable)

For $300 I think that was a pretty good haul.

Last weekend I went at the block with some wire brushes and cleaned it fairly well. Trying not to have it dipped to save money and avoid transporting all this stuff in my little volvo. Painted it black, looks decent. (cleaned more since the picture)

0311131724.jpg

As you can tell, I am trying to make this a relatively cheap project.

What I am worried about now is if there was damage to the crankshaft. I assume there usualy is in the case of a blown bearing.
I will get pictures of the damaged parts up in about a week or so. Maybe ya'll can let me know exctly what I should be focused on replacing.

Your right to be concerned about the crankshaft, it won't be useable as is. You will need to have it turned under size or use as a core on a fresh reground crank or crankshaft kit i.e. includes new rod and main bearings. The other choice is to use the crankshaft from your new block and use all the rods. If you go with a reground crank it would be a good idea to have the set of rods rebuilt ( resized ) and install a new oil pump. Good luck on your Mustang :nod:

Welcome!

I didn't realize some of the parts places still had used parts to sell. Gives me some ideas of my own.

And thank you for serving in the armed forces. Not enough say it, and I don't nearly enough. The anchor on one of the local morning radio shows is constantly reminding us. I think he's right.

As you've already learned, the nice thing about the inline six is the amount of room it affords you in the engine bay. I remember helping my Father change the spark plugs on the 351W in his '69 Torino GT. Bigger car - bigger engine too. Getting the plugs out of the rear two cylinders was an absolute PITA and required the use of a special tool. :roll:

There are two types of rods found in the 200 depending on year, forged or cast. You shouldn't mix the two.

Check the casting codes on the rods. The ones from your 66 engine should have the forged rods; engines built in 78-79 would have the cast ones. The casting codes for the cast rods should begin with D7 or D8.

Also, have a machinist check the straightness of the remaining rods from your 66. I had an engine failure in my Corvair that broke one rod and bent another. When rebuilding it, my machinist found out one of the four remaining rods was not straight and needed replaced along with the first two.

As always, I recommend getting the "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook".

66BudgetSixer":8tl8s9pg said:
I don't fully know what I am doing, but I'm not afraid to try.

That's all that matters. I didn't know much when I got started either.

BTW, my parents were ASU alums! Enjoy Boone!

:beer: Hi 66BudgetSixer.
First-Thank you for your service.
Second-Welcome aboard.Plenty of excellent advice here to choose from.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Your second purchase should be a Factory Service Manual. Invaluable info in there. Has tons of procedures and torque specs too. Personally I wouldn't buy any aftermarket book; go FoMoCo FSM all the way!

And welcome aboard. Great guys here and most have made their mistakes and now you can learn from them!

I think National Parts Depot has them. You can also check the other Mustang parts places too.

Bit of an update. I was able to check the rods; the casting codes all matched.
0331131414.jpg

Bad news!!! - My father brought the replacement engine to the dump thinking I was done with it. I think he was sick of it sitting in his garage. So I have contacted Standard Crankshaft Co. in Charlotte and they have started machining a replacement for me.
Old crank.
0331131409a.jpg

The pistons all look good except for the number 1. Looks like i'll be getting a new set.
0331131415.jpg

I have had the Falcon six handbook for a while, but just purchased the shop manual as well (found on amazon).

Things are starting to add up...

Back