Clearance problem - ARP bolt & Oil Pump

kukm66

Famous Member
Went to install my oil pump on the rebuilt 200 and found #2 Main cap bolt is too long and hits the oil pump body.
I am using a Melling pump and the ARP bolt set from Mike.

Anyone have this issue?

Mine also hit. The bigest problem was the stud was way to tall for the pump. I cut the stud so it would be flush with the torque nut then marked an angled the edge of the nut to match the oil pump casting. I also took some off the body of the pump. I ground a lot more from the old pump to see if the was enough material in the wall of the pump. That curved portion of the pump was pretty thick and I did not have to remove that much. Just hope the two pumps I used for comparison were the same. It’s been over three years of hard driving without any problems.

Gene

Don...sounds like an issue I had using ARP studs on the mains. Is that what you are using or bolts? I just clearanced the oil pump housing.

They were studs.

I was considering slicing down the one problem stud but am concerned with metal filings.

Other possibility is to replace the stud with a normal bolt but I am wondering if that would affect the
bearing to crank clearance. I do not want to have to deal with that.

Damn, there is always something! I cannot get this engine buttoned up and dropped in until this gets solved.

Here is what I did to my pump for clearance.

oil_pump002_zps8514637a.jpg

oil_pump001_zps10c8e2d6.jpg

I had less than an 1/8 of inch with OEM replacement bolt and a melling hi vol oil pump, but it never hit. I haven't used the ARP bolts in a rebuild. This was a E0 Block.

Back