NOS 144/170 Valve Cover Paint

Greetings,

I purchased an NOS valve cover for my 1962 Falcon. It is painted on the underside as well as on the outside. My question is that how the factory would originally paint these. To me, I would think not as it seems it would flake off into the valve area.

Would any one know for sure?

Thanks a bunch,

Tom

I have never seen a valve cover with paint on the inside. If someone is trying to pass off a valvecover as NOS and there is paint on the inside, I would call his bluff and ask for proof.
Paint on the inside would do nothing but cause trouble like you said.

I think they painted the engines after they were assembled. You can tell if the original VC gasket has paint on the edges. My NOS 1966 Mustang valve cover was not painted on the inside.

Here is a list of factory paint colors used on various years.
There never was any paint on the inside.

http://www.tffn.net/1960.html

Note:

The Krylon 1613 semi-gloss black was transferred to their industrial paint division and is close but not the same as the original 1613.

kukm66":30a3gcj8 said:
Here is a list of factory paint colors used on various years.
There never was any paint on the inside.
http://www.tffn.net/1960.html
Note:
The Krylon 1613 semi-gloss black was transferred to their industrial paint division and is close but not the same as the original 1613.

Wow, that's more'n just paint! He missed me by 3 yrs, tho.
Wonder if there's anything for the '68 & '69 Falcon engine(s and their 'accessories')?

On the 1965 and older Ford models the valve covers were painted off the engines before assembly. The Valve cover color was also used by service techs and mechanics as a quick way to Id the engine size. On 1966 up models the color for all engines changed to Corporate Ford Blue and the engines were painted after assembly of the head, oil pan, etc. including the bolts. the valve cover (also same dark Ford Blue) was installed near end of engine assembly line using natural finish bolts and lock washers.

Back