camshaft recognition

DieterPauwels

Hello,

I am new to the forum but i have been reading it for a while. First of all sorry for any typo's (i am dutch).

I own a 1968 i6 200Ci mustang and am in the progress of rebuilding my engine. Now, i don't have much engine building experience especially classics, in-fact this is the first pushrod engine I've worked on. I do however have a good understanding of engines.

So far I completely disassembled my engine so i could check/replace every part. While disassembling the head i found that the valve springs had a red finish, so i don't think they are stock(correct me if i am wrong). This made me think that if someone would replace the springs it was because he/she installed a hotter cam. Or would it just be part of rebuilding the head?

So my question is: are there any marking/casting codes on the stock cam? I cant find any on the cam i pulled out.

Thanks in advance.

There are usually not many markings on a stock cam shaft.
look on both ends of the cam for numbers or letter stamped into the metal.
It is possible you have a engine that had a head replaced and used a new set of springs.

Without any marks on the cam it will be difficult to determine what the specs are on it. At the very least you can measure lobe lift by measuring the cam lobe across the short side and the long side with a dial caliper or micrometer. The difference between these two numbers is your lobe lift and multiplying that lift number by the 1.5 rocker ratio will give you your valve lift. If you have something in the neighborhood of .370" or less, it is probably safe to assume it is a stock cam, or a stock type regrind. If it is considerably higher, you can probably assume it is a hotter cam grind. As for the springs themselves, you would need to get them on a valvespring tester to get the specs.

And I for one, commend you on your perfect English. :beer: There are a LOT of people on these forums who speak English as their first language yet type like they are completely retarded.

First Fox":2kbc37a6 said:
And I for one, commend you on your perfect English. :beer: There are a LOT of people on these forums who speak English as their first language yet type like they are completely retarded.

I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks again.

I guess spell check is my best friend now :D.

Anyway, I measured and did the math and came out at 0.363" valve lift. Now i am really sure its stock.

I am thinking of replacing it with a 264/274 108° cam. It would be for regular street use, i just want the engine to less sluggish. Don't really care about the HP output. I am choosing the 108° to get the dcr up and 264/274 because i a have a oversized :roll: 500cfm carb witch came with the car. I would be installing the cam with 4° (or more if i can)advance witch would bring me around 7.4 dcr. Would this be a good choice?

Thx

i have the 264/274 110* .450 cam.

I say, don't... i wish I got the 264/264 112 .480 (would have a custom made .480 lift)

stay with the 112 lobe center, and if anything stay the same on exhaust and intake.... so 264/264 or 274/274, if you want grunt, I recommend getting a 264/264 112 .450 (.450 or higher) cam, then the 350 cfm (cause a 500 is too hard to tune without some MAJOR investment in mods) then go for a t-5 trans from a 4cyl, and some nice 3.2 rear gears. you will be VERY happy and think it's the best thing ever done. good luck and let us know what you think...

you WON'T like the 108 lobe separation... stock is closer to 114* lobe separation IIRC.

jimlj66":1ouy3uzx said:
First Fox":1ouy3uzx said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Tee moo.

einstein3.jpg

bm1407dyslexia-posters-212x300.jpg

:beer: Don`t worry about typos.We ALL make them.Besides,on here we all speak the same language.MECHANICS.Welcome aboard.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

For some reason it looks like Ford actually did put the red paint on the springs at the factory. Mine was the same way and I am 99.9% sure that my engine was never apart until I rebuilt it.

dagenham":3oyfji3n said:
For some reason it looks like Ford actually did put the red paint on the springs at the factory. Mine was the same way and I am 99.9% sure that my engine was never apart until I rebuilt it.

bubba's explanation sounded purty good - oe assembly aid for similar items but different locations (intake v exhaust).

Back