Is $90 too much for a '79 200 engine?

65fback

Engine is in unknown state. It was pulled a while ago. If even the head is in decent shape is it worth $90?

Probably, but I would still try to pay less. At half that I would just buy it, no questions asked. But on the other hand if it has a carb and DuraSpark2. You have some relatively cheap upgrades even at the current asking price.

I'd still offer $50 and see if it flies. I'm frugal like that... :roll:

It depends on how much time you have. You could hang around and get one for free, but it might take you a good while and a bit of a drive.

I would go see it, bring a tool set, see if the crank rotates, see if you can pull the valve cover and check for heavy amounts of crud and anything obviously wrong with the valve train. If it looks good I'd grab it.

90 bucks is a fair price in my neck of the woods. As stated by Coupeboy, if it has the carb and distributor, as well as brackets and alternator etc, it definitely sweetens the deal.

I don't know where U R in cowhamp but just south'a ya in Amherst (Mass not NH) U will not find 1 in a junk yrd. My 2 250s came from VA & TN.
On the other hand, that's pretty old, can't be any good - if the head is there (I'm lookin 4 one) I'll give ya $5 for it. :eek:

No, that's a joke (but not the "I'm lookin 4 a head" part - many of us R).

C if U can get him to run it. Is it in or out of a vehicle? ( EDIT: I see it's out on re-read ) I really wanna hear them/C them run to get a good feel for what's there. R U mechanically inclined?

Hey Chad. I'm just outside of Nashua. Yeah, the junkyards do not have anything up here either. What a difference from the late 80s. I remember seeing a Packard Hawk when I went with Dad to go get some taillights for his '80 mustang after it'd been rear ended. No way can we find 30 year old cars in the junkyard anymore.

I'm mostly interested in the head, though if the motor is in decent shape I'd be thrilled to get that too seeing as mine has been bored to the limit when it got its rebuild way back when. The engine is a LONG drive away, and the current owner doesn't want to handle shipping, so I'd be driving down to get it.

Mechanically inclined: Hrm. Let me see. I do my own brakes. I've changed a water pump on a 351M. I did the timing gear on a 351W. I've not torn down an engine and put it back together (yet). Not afraid to get my hands grubby, but I know better than to not read the service manual pretty darn well before starting because it's not my day job.

not my day job is right from my end of it too but when I have $ I like to wrench (been a long time now).
asked cuz if ur handy it is worth alot more 2 U. Don't hafta pay another for some labor (& add on 2 prts costs).

OK, no head for me
:LOL:

"What a difference from the late 80s..."
Sign o'da times, eh man? Used ta find this stuff all over, now gone for the short money.
Have a nice drive, go get it (head alone's worth near $90 2 me), on the way back check out my 4-sale-250....

$90 for a 200 is a fair price around here. Like it has been said, if you are patient you can find some for free. I drove 4 hours for mine and paid $200, but it was rebuilt. 5 years later, I gave that engine away to someone who bought the OZ head that I used on it.

Hey Chad, what's the state of that 250 you have for sale? And how much are you asking for it?

HiYa,
one's a '75. Pulled by the Owner/inventor of Stone Crusher Steering (beefy linkage for off rd bronks) in TN to put in a V8. Claims it wuz runnin but smokey. I trust his wrd - known him 10 yrs.
I'd trade it for a '77 + head in decent shape.
see signature for further contact info, ie

chrlsful@aol.com

, etc

"...doesn't want to handle shipping,..."
BTW: I got a great (if U can dicker/wait a lill while) national shipper if interested.
(got the 2 engines this way). PM for more info...

it's probably worth that in scrap, so you won't get it for much less. A lot of the junk yards in the northern states have been on a purge to sell to scrap anything that is older, so it's been getting harder to find parts.

Back