Finally, Went into the 13's!!

Mustang_Geezer

Been trying for 5 years now and it finally happened today! 8)

I'll scan and post my time slips later tonite, but here is my SLOWEST time.

60' 1.90 1/8 mile 8.78 @ 78.40 1/4 mile 13.82 @ 97.32 mph.

Later,

Doug

Thanks! Lots of fun today and the happiest I've been with my car in a long time!!

Hopefully these thumbs work...

It still wants to spin when you really hit it. I'm running 24 lbs of air in the drag radials right now. Not sure how low you can go without screwing the tires to the wheels?

So it looks like I gained .43 tenths over my best pass last year and 3.57 mph.

Was able to weigh it on 131's scales today too and it weighs 2630 lbs exactly with me in it.

Congradulations, Doug
The weight reduction & the rear gear sure did the job.
Celebration is in order. V/R Bill :beer: :beer:

:beer: congrats on making it into the 13's! We used to run 15 and down as low as 10 psi but the beads were screwed to rims. Do you mark the tire to rim or the valve stem to see if it's slipping on the rim as you lower the psi?

Bill,

Yep, and the carb/carb plate/and hood scoop mods helped too. Oh and my new stall converter! And my new drag radials..Cant tell my wife how much this all cost!! :LOL: :LOL:

Bubba,

Havent marked anything yet. 1st time Ive had it out this year.

Asa,

Dont want to be greedy but 13.50's?? :D The head is still in its stock untouched form. The only thing I ever did to it since I got it from Mike was put the bigger valves in it and gasket matched the intake to the head. And shaved it .010 so its got 52 cc chambers IIRC.

Got a couple more time slips but they are yellow vs white so they arent scanning worth a poop!

Later,

Doug

The difference between Science and screwing around is keeping track of data.
I'm always amazed at how much you can get from a vehicle if you are meticulous about keeping track of results, and your car is one of the best examples of that.

Lay the slips under a sheet of plexi or glass or something with a dark background for contrast, then just take a picture of them? If the flash interferes you can take the picture at an angle to limit the glare from the glass.

Asa":38tbn26l said:
The difference between Science and screwing around is keeping track of data.
I'm always amazed at how much you can get from a vehicle if you are meticulous about keeping track of results, and your car is one of the best examples of that.

Lay the slips under a sheet of plexi or glass or something with a dark background for contrast, then just take a picture of them? If the flash interferes you can take the picture at an angle to limit the glare from the glass.

Thanks!

I'll try tomorrow and see if I cant take a picture of them.

Later,

Doug

Very Kool and not just a little pick up in ET and MPH... that is a lot picked up when talking inline 6cyl talk.

:mrgreen:

Both of you (Mustang Geezer and Crosley) now know the results of getting the right converter! It seams to work in line with what Car Craft and FalconSedan Delivery have been saying, you need to tray a differernt converter and see how it goes, and what is rated as a stall figure is not what it will flash at on an I6. So you can get 4000 rpm stall converters which work just fine on an I6, since the rating is not I6 based, its just a figure that changes with the cam and engine set up.

Crosley":3eol5neb said:
Very Kool and not just a little pick up in ET and MPH... that is a lot picked up when talking inline 6cyl talk.

:mrgreen:

The issue is the converter, mostly. When people do automatics on chassis dynos, they loose a huge amount over the flywheel figure, way more than the 25 to 28% you'd expect with a T10, Toploader or T5. But what I used to see in the Australian cars with C4's and Turbo Hydramatics was 53 to 63%. When you applied a better, looser converter, the evidence seams to be closer to 33% loss all told, so a wrong converter choice for drag racing may be effectively a 50 hp loss. So a 350 hp car might be 215 rear wheel hp with a 63% loss and a stock C4 and a 1650 rpm converter, but with a really well set up C4 and 2350 or 2500 rpm stall rating, it might be 263 rear wheel hp.

On an auto I6, the converter must allow the car to gain on hole shoot launches, and that's what you've done.

The CI head probably looses a lot more power at low rpms with an automatic than a log head, due to the port sizes. With the right gearing and converter and tires, it responds better than anyone might expect.

:beer: Hi MG.Way to go.NOW,you have to get down to 12.99 seconds to get out of the"unlucky"13`s.Hehehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks guys!

I knew on the very 1st pass that it was really going compared to last summer but I was shocked when I seen that 1st time slip! :shock:

Deano,

The fastest 2 passes was when I foot braked it up to 3400 rpms, then when you stood on it you could shock the converter to 4000 rpms. The last pass (according to my notes) went through the lites at 5700 rpms. I was shifting at 6200 on every pass.

Unlucky 13's...LOL!! ;)

Later,

Doug

Funky Cricket":26euwzs0 said:
Congrats on the passes, that was with a pretty cold track too! You guys were spared the slush down there at 131 then?

Didnt do anything @ 131 yesterday. I was there from 1:30 till around 4:00 Wasnt bad at all actually! It was around 50 degrees I'd say?

Took a picture of this time slip per Asa's guidance. :D

Very cool , its all in the 60ft ( for ET gains ) and you still have almost a 1/2 second to find 98.00 is 13.20's in a stock eliminator car , but a 13.67 is dam good , My Moroso power speed calculator ( which makes most cry ) say's just shy of 200HP , that's great !!I ran 15 in my Drag radials and needed no screws with 1.59 60fts ( my 68 390 car ) so Id try 16 at least , and HEAT them !

FalconSedanDelivery":3w8vzje5 said:
Very cool , its all in the 60ft ( for ET gains ) and you still have almost a 1/2 second to find 98.00 is 13.20's in a stock eliminator car , but a 13.67 is dam good , My Moroso power speed calculator ( which makes most cry ) say's just shy of 200HP , that's great !!I ran 15 in my Drag radials and needed no screws with 1.59 60fts ( my 68 390 car ) so Id try 16 at least , and HEAT them !

Faron,

Okay I'll drop the pressure some more and see what that does. I'm also going to put some shims under the rubber snubbers on my slapper bars to get them closer to the leaf spring. Right now there is a 1/2 gap between them. I've been told more than once to get Cal-Tracs but I havent yet....

I have Rancho adjustable drag shocks on the back. Would it help if I firmed them up a bit to plant the tires better? Right now the Rt side is 1 click firmer than the Lt.

I've got about 20 more pounds I can easily remove (New passeger door and plain rear valance) so I'm working on that this week. If I can get it to hook up I going to tweek the carb a bit more and I guess thats it without removing the head and having it professionaly ported and polished.

Thanks,

Doug

That is very cool. Congratulations. That is a great car portrait too. I'd put it up on the wall.

Back