Mustang Monthly article on Alum hean in stall.

65-coupe":3s5f3msg said:
Thanks I will see how it goes with this one. I still have no idea why the 300CFM almost dies from a dead start.
Were you running that air induction system when you did your testing? I'm not sure you can get enough air thru the carb with that. I have tried something similar with mine and it ran poorly with that setup. Something to think about when you get to the dyno. I would dyno without any air cleaner or cold air setup.

Gene Fiore":3r5ruke3 said:
65-coupe":3r5ruke3 said:
Thanks I will see how it goes with this one. I still have no idea why the 300CFM almost dies from a dead start.
Were you running that air induction system when you did your testing? I'm not sure you can get enough air thru the carb with that. I have tried something similar with mine and it ran poorly with that setup. Something to think about when you get to the dyno. I would dyno without any air cleaner or cold air setup.

Thanks I will try it. But the problem was too much air. My A/F would hit 18 plus.

Brian

Well I dyno today but I can't give the numbers out. It will be in Mustang Monthly in two issues. I am trying to get everything I can out of it for the next dyno. What is everybody setting there initial timing to? I set mine at 16 per Faron that he recurved. I have the vacum advance hooed in to the carb. Is this the best spot for this? It is funny the 245 CFM and 300 CFM made the same numbers. Still thinking of buying a Holley 390 and dyno it when we do the T5.

Please stick to the numbers I gave you ,they are safe , could you gain a touch by advancing , perhaps , but no more than 5hp ,You need more Carb , a 300 2brl is not half of a 600 4brl , they are rated in a different pressure drop. asking what others set their timing to is like asking what pants size they wear , , pants , but probably wont fit you :nono: again feel free to call

I just do not see how they got 199RWHP out of a Autolite 240CFM 2bbl. I am suprized that the 245 and 300CFM made the same numbers. I guess I need more CFM so I need to deiced which CFM to go with 390, 465, 570 or a 600. All woul dbe with vac second. Just ran out of time for the store.

I wish I would have went big to began with instead of the smaller ones. So the numbers would have been the best they could have for the story. I know there is alot of little things to get the most out of the setup. We just ran out of time for the story. But the car runs great through all the RPM range.

We just ran out of time for the story.

BUT not 4 the car. Stick w/us & U can get all it's worth from this point...
:eek:

I will I just wanted better numbers so people can see what they can do. I have read the story and it should be pretty good. I asked Mark to change add a couple of things. SO we will see how it goes. I know I have alot of playing to do with the setup. But I did increase alot through the whole RPM range :beer:

Just remember if you bolt on a big carb, if you don't put a light spring in the vacuum housing the secondary throttles might not have enough air flow to even open close to all the way.
If you don't have an innovate wide band A/F tester you are just guessing.
On your engine you never will get any power unless the compression ratio is at least 10.5-11.0.
I am anxious to see you numbers with your combination. Bill

"...I will I just wanted better numbers so people can see what they can do. I have read the story..."
Good on ya mate! But now you're on YOUR own schedule (too bad it didn't include their $, now). Thanks for the try. I'd rather read it here anyway.

Let's C where things go.

Thanks for takin me along!

4-bbls offer more scope for tunning on an I6 ifnyou can package it.

The vac sec 600 4180c is probably the worlds best carb, easy to calibrate, and a lot of fun with the high flow head. That's why the 5.0 and 5.8 HO Windsor and Lima 370/460 4-bbl truck engines used it for years from 82 to 96. The other sized Holleys, the 465 mec secondary 4-bbls are very good too. You can't go wrong with a big one. One 465 4-bbl carb can make 290 to 330 hp with ease.

The smaller 2-bbls are harder to tune, especially when the cam timing is wilder than the stock six cylinders 256 or aftermarket 260 degree cams. David Vizard always said timing is touchy with the Holley 2-bbl in 350 or 500 cfm form, and the Autolite suffers the same issues. Going to a 4-bbl gives you much more scope to keep the primaries small. The secondary circuit can always we tailored to suit, even with mechanical secondary carbs. There is so much scope with a good old Yanky 4-bbl.

Down here, our Crossflow guys are running similar carburation to a 5.0 factory HO set up, and if its wild, a 650 double pumper tunned to suit is fine with a stove hot 250. So a 465/470 or 600 is great with a Classic Inlinhes head even if its only got 3300 cc's to suck with!

Carburation works like this...a 200 or 250 can use as little as 3 barrels worth of 450 cfm and give 180 to 220 hp,

A 500 cfm 2-bbl Holley is really only a 354 cfm carb, but will give 235 to even 350 hp if your engine is a high winder, but it will have worse drivablity than a 465 four barrel so its pointless trying to work a 2-bbl to the raggard edges. A 350 cfm is only 247 cfm rated like a 4-bbl, and the 300 cfm Autolite is probably only 212 cfm rated as a 4-bbl, too small to avoid drivability problems, even though it may make great torque and good power if tuned right.

I vaguely remember Mike's color chart showing the flows of several heads (stock, lrg log, OZ, his own). UR comments remind me of this. For this poster's thread it would be nice to have something like that for these carbs. I'm learnin from U fellas nothing is perfect at "bolt on" but something like this I mention could help short cut a search?

One big learning experience for sure. I should have gone with a 4BBL right away like FalconSedanDelivery suggested. Mark said I could dyno it with just the carb change and then the T5 added. I hope alot of people like the story.

Back