Engine nearing completion

68_sixpeashooter

Well my engine is nearing completion. Its a 66 block with a late model 78 fairmont cylinder head. The block has a classic inlines 264/274 hyd cam with a 110 lobe center, and a dual roller timing chain. The head is still in the process of being finished but the 2 barrel conversion is done. Its going to have hardened seats, standard stainless steel valves, single springs with dampers, and I'm running an autolite 2v carb with 300cfm. The carb is going to have the lokar throttle cable setup. There's still a couple of things I need to choose for the build to be finished which I need some help on. I still need the rocker arms, water pump, fuel pump, and the head bolts. Could I get away with using the 78 head stock rocker arms? Or would I need better ones? Also should I use a stock 200 water pump or upgrade to a better one? If there is better ones. Can I run a stock mechanical fuel pump or should I upgrade to an electric one?
Here's a couple of pics of the engine.

P.S
I also don't know what ignition to run on the engine. I'd love to run a D.U.I with the mini vip on my engine, but money is tight. The engine that is currently in my car has a petronix ignition system would I be okay running that on my new engine?

As far as the distro goes, if it was paired with an SCV carb (that would have come with the 66 block) then no, you cannot use it as the autolite will not have the scv valve. Theres a link I posted yesterday in the ebay subforum, for a Duraspark setup, it should have everything you need/will work with the autolite. I'm not the seller, just throwing it out there for you

-Nick

So I decided to go with the mechanical stock pump and stock water pump as well. just for simplicity. I also got some ARP head studs for my log head. Regarding the distributor I think I'm just going to buy the kit off of classic inlines. I already have a brand new pertronix ignition coil flame thrower with 40,000 volts. So would I be able to use that coil with a DSII distributor? And is there a big difference between the standard DSII distributor and the performance one?

i like my setup, DS2 i think i bought it for around $40 at kregan, MSD 6al i think i bought for $60 off ebay and MSD blaster coil around $40 bux i think. my setup gives a nice fat spark :nod:

I would like to build the same engine.

Can you give details on how you are going to do the carb linkage and how you are going to make it work with the gas pedal? Are you running a manual or automatic transmission?

bmcgc1960 I bought the lokar carburetor brackets, and I'm also going to buy the lokar pedal for the throttle cable. Unless I can find a cheaper alternative because the pedal is a little pricy. The car has an automatic C4.

Does anyone know what the difference between the standard and performance DSII? I'm planning to buy it soon and I wanna know what to spend my money on wisely.

thanks for the info! and Jackfish do you know for sure if the fox body pedal would work? what year and model of the car would work for the throttle cable?

What Compression Ratio are you aiming for? Did you get the block decked? How about milling the head? What is the thickness of the head gasket? Remember the "3 C's" of power: camshaft, carburation and compression ratio! Its looking good and you have the first two covered. The upgrades should make it a blast to drive.

As for the dizzy I went with a DS-II system when I rebuilt my engine. I started out with all the stuff (dizzy, module, harness and coil) from a junkyard and ended up replacing most of it as I went along. You can do a stock type of DD-II upgrade with new parts from a parts store for not much $.

My engine is going to have a compression ratio of 9:1 as far as the gas pedal I think I'm just going to buy the lokar pedal. I know it will fit for sure and I don't want to be trying out different pedals. What type of rocker arms would anyone recommend me to get? That's the last thing I need for the engine to be complete.

Thanks

Back