Timing

72maverick

Hello,

I'm running a pertronix unit along with a superstock accel coil. The distributor is turned completely in towards the block (fully advanced, I believe). When using a timing light on it, the mark is way off the degree scale; however, whenever I try to bring the timing down the engine gets rough and stumbles. I bypassed the resistor wire so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the engine just going to be happy with the timing that far advanced? Or are there other things I can check?

Thanks for the help

Howdy Back maverick:

What cam are you running? What is the elevation in Socorro, NM? What is the CR of this engine? Any knock or ping?

Did you disconnect the vacuum source and plug it before checking the advance?

Is it possible the distributor got installed one tooth counterclockwise?

Adios, David

It's the stock cam. Elevation is 4600. Didn't check the CR. I don't believe there is any knock or ping, however, I have never heard it so not completely sure. When it's fully advanced it sounds healthy. And I will try again and disconnect the vacuum source. And I hope it's not a tooth off but maybe

The "hard" part is lining up the teeth on the came with the distro meanwhile lining up the shaft that goes down to the oil pump, once you have both lined up, it should just -drop- in

-Nick

You can do it without even pulling it out all the way just lift it up a little at time as your also are turning the rotor. You can feel distributor gear as it clears the cam gear move it the one tooth and drop it back down. :nod:

72maverick":1gnc0xq8 said:
the mark is way off the degree scale

Check cylender 1 top dead center against the timing mark line up. Old ballencers have been known to slip.

So I dialed back the time to where it still sounds good. It just above the scale nkw. I remarked tdc. Now it just seems to smoke more

Back