83 LTD 200 bits

Sav63comet

Ran across an '83 200 in the junkyard. If its still there next time I plan on pulling some bits.

I already want the ignition, or at least the harness, as I want to swap to a DSII on my car. Thought I'd snag the starter too as it looks smaller and I'm wanting to go headers in the future.

I noticed this car has a 2 barrel carb. Didn't know they came stock on any of our engines. It's all motor craft and looks stock, is it? Thought I may take that if its useful, at least snag the mounting plate.

Damn the exhaust is ugly on that thing with the cat right there!

Anything else anyone would feel worth snagging? This is a modern you pull yard so the car may be gone in a week.

The Essex didn't come in until '84 or '85 - the first couple years of the Fox LTD still used Ye Olde Falcon Sixe.

Snag the head while you're at it! It should be an E0 casting with the large intake.
That 200 should also have the low mounted starter.

Where are you located?

Ford did not use a 2 barrel carb on the 200 as far as I know. It is on an adapter or was direct mounted- I would definately get that. Also the air cleaner.

I'm in Savannah Georgia. I'll share the location of the car if you promise to leave me the stuff I want, lol.

I don't want I pay for the head since I just bought a large log head from a forum member. I guess I will grab the carb and bits. It is a Motorcraft two barrel, double action from the looks of it. What's the right term? Both sides act together, not a primary/secondary arrangement.

2 barrel? Btw when you pull the carb, see if it was a direct mount or adapter, if its direct mount, someone may be interested!

It looked like it was on an adaptor. If direct mount I'd grab the head! It doesn't look at all like an engine with any go fast changes. It still has the cat down pipe exhaust and all.

If I can find the pics of the factory Ford 2 bbl log head that the guy up in Kansas had a few years ago, I'll post them. Xctasy (Dean) researched this a coupe of years ago and even found Ford Brochures with them listed as an available option.

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65147&p=499708#p499708

Can't do any more than 9 pictures in a row, but multiple posts can show you the whole thing.

Thanks, super4ord , you have helped me find out that there was no 2-bbl X code, and no AOD 3.3.

But plenty of 3.8 2-bbl Vee six AOD LTD's and Foxes from 1982 and 1983 onwards :mrgreen:

For the price of just a GM Rochester 2G,2GC or 2GV in small or large base, or IHI/Chrysler Holley 2209 or Carter 2-bbl carb, or the old 2110 Holley, a 2-bbl can be small enough to fit with the EGR on an get all the emissions gear and cables to fit without too much energy. Like this, but with all the emissions devices. This below is the Billy Beer Ford mit 3.3 2-bbl and early 2-bbl Rochester 2Jet

Parkwood60LeMonz2-bbl33racerTop.jpg

Parkwood60LeMonz2-bbl33racerBottom.jpg

Pretty simple

A 2100/2150 Motorcraft or 2300 Holley 7448/4412 2-bbl is a bit of a squeeze, and requires more kickdown/throttle valve work.

Note: The set up below is equiped with a non standard carb, its a Motorcraft 2-bbl, but it propably isn't the one that came with the XE casting head. It may have been the Variable Venturi 2-bbl or the later emissions legal 2300CG as used in the 370 2-bbl big block F600 Trucks and Carpenter buses. The kickdown linkage would have been different and perhaps the 2150 Motorcrft would have needed a lockar style kicdown. The European 2-bbl Weber 38DGAS and Solex 35 and 40 carb Cologne V6's had a kickdown linkage which mated to the factory C3 and C4 cable kickdown, so within the Ford empire of the 1978 to 1983 era, there was all the technology in the world to make a 2 V 3.3 head on a log intake. Its unsure of what Ford intended for the XE head found on ebay, as it has the biggest log ever, and the kickdown bracket holes on the rear between intake runner 4 and 5 needed a special bracket to operate a conventional C3/C4/C5 or even AOD rod linkage. Click for the larger images.

An AOD can fit to any grey low mount 3.3 six with just slotting and redrilling of the top bolts.

None of this was done as a factory released certified combo, because there is no CARB E.O. or Factory code for a 2-bbl 3.3 I6. I'm sure there were other 2-bbl XE coded heads and engines for the later 1981 to 1983 engines on Ford test benches, but none were sold as Regular Production Options factory cars.

The engine codes were changed three times for 3.3's from 1978 to 1983, but for 1983, the X code is just a 3.3 i6 1-bbl, with a rollover of the updated 1981-82 B code emissions calibration.

None of the drive reports by Motor Trend in 1980 where what they said they were, as there was no VV or Holley W 2-bbl or Variable Venturi 95 hp Capri RS, and if they did, it would have had a separate engine code listed with CARB, the EPA or on FoMoCo's technical manuals. There is no evidence it existed, and Mark P, a member here before 2007, was aware that there were packages, but none were released for civilian use. There might have been some XE coded heads and Campus Security Police Interceptor pre production variants, but no 'real macoy' factory 2-bbl 3.3's.

So with the two barrel being an add on I guess I should check for other signs of mods? Since its still got stock exhaust I'm assuming its all stock inside, but maybe pull the valve cover and see if anything looks interesting?

'83 is still DSII, right? Looked like it to me but I'm not totally up on the changes Ford made year to year.

Would the LTD have a limited slip rear? I didn't even peek at the third member. I was just excited about the engine. My trip that day was for wheels so it being a four lug car I paid no attention.

If you are grabbing stuff, I'd suggest the throttle cable and brackets, and kickdown stuff. Cruise control.
You've piqued our curiosity to see this alleged holy grail.
A 4cyl engine would have a progressive 2bbl carb.

Someone, and I'm looking around the room accusatorially, beat me to the carb and linkages. It was definitely not stock from the looks of the hammer marks in the valve cover.

I did get the car adaptor, distributor and harness, and the starter.

I should pay closer attention. I live in Macon and would have driven over and picked through it myself.

Im looking for a DSII harness as well.

The best adaptor around for the money for a big log I6.

fail.jpg

It may be an F for fail from some people, but a 2-bbl 350 or 500 cfm Holley is a 2 bbl, and it flows more than the stock 200 cfm 1-bbl 1946 Holley. Even if the porting is so dumb lookin.

A stock T, B or X code 3.3 is a really easy engine to hop up, looks like lots of people are doing it!

And a much better one from Mike

carbadapt2v.jpg

Sav, any idea if the 83 head is still there?

If it is we will drive over on Friday and pick it up.

We stopped by the yard today. I couldnt get the head. I forgot to bring my 3/8 drive rachet and I needed a deep 7/16 socket to get the long valve cover stud that the carb linkage bolts to. Ive had some health issues since last Nov and I just dont have the strength to bend over the fender for a couple hours. They also had that thing perched so high up that I had to pull over a gas tank to stand on.

I did get both engine lift brackets and both 3-groove pulleys. I dont think there are alot of 200s with both ac and ps, thats why I grabbed the pulleys. The fan shroud was a bit to big for our 65 Stang, but will work perfect on my 66 F100.

The radiator on that car looked brand new, I bet it could easily be made to fit a 200 Mustang or Falcon. The 5 blade fan was busted, I wanted that.

So Im still looking for an 80+ head.

Back