Late Model Large log and Carb questions --

E1ghtTrack

I was able to find a large log head casting E0BE-6090-BB - got it for a fair price. Now I would like to learn from others and save some time and money in regards to making choices about carburetor, ignition, and machine work.

Currently I have 65 mustang 200, C4 trans, with headers, borla exhaust, pertronix ignitor and coil, cold air induction with engine dressup from classic inlines.

My current small log has aftermarket Holley carb stamped 4694 2 which I believe is a version of the 1940 Holley.
My first question is what 1 bbl carb would be best to run with the large log head and my current setup?

The goal is to eventually do the 2v conversion, but I have to find someone in or near Plano, TX that can do it and I have to budget for it.(If anyone knows of anyone they would recommend please let me know.)

Because there is quite a bit of cost involved in switching out ignition system, milling head, carb purchase, throttle cable, and kickdown solution. I have to do it in steps to spread out cost.

E1ghtTrack":2kyyah6d said:
Currently I have 65 mustang 200, C4 trans, with headers, borla exhaust, pertronix ignitor and coil, cold air induction with engine dressup from classic inlines.

My current small log has aftermarket Holley carb stamped 4694 2 which I believe is a version of the 1940 Holley.
My first question is what 1 bbl carb would be best to run with the large log head and my current setup?

i personally would go with the carter YF carb. oyu can get one off a 240/300 inline from a truck for full size sedan.

Because there is quite a bit of cost involved in switching out ignition system, milling head, carb purchase, throttle cable, and kickdown solution. I have to do it in steps to spread out cost.

swapping out the ignition isnt that expensive if you are careful with the parts you select. for instance you can get a reman duraspark ll distributor from an 80 fairmont 3.3L for around $30 last i knew from oreillys autoparts. summit then sells the chrysler igntion box, i like the orange box, and the wiring harness for the box for around $50 or so. you can get the wiring diagram for mixing the two systems at http://www.gofastforless.com. and while i recommend using the msd blaster lll coil, you can also use your current coil until you can save the money to replace it(about $40). by the way, i have used the ignition system i just described in my old 66 falcon, and it worked perfectly. so well in fact that the car would light off in 20 degree weather even though the engine was cold.

Thanks for reply - I was kinda leaning towards the HEI distributor for simplicity of wiring but will research the duraspark route a little more.

Now I need to find a cheap Carter YF until I can afford to have head log milled....

8) the HEI unit is an excellent system, but very expensive. unless you are going with a high end build, or oyu have a lot of money to throw around, the HEI isnt really for you.

It looks like there are a few different versions of the Holley 1940. Ron ( rjseibenick ) at Ford Six is a Tempo racer, and he's measured his 1940 as being a 1.352" venturi carb, although I'm sure that is not the stock venturi diameter for the #R 4529 144/170/200 replacements

If some versions have a larger venturi than the 1946, and the flow rate is 202 cfm as a 1945, and, according to Ron at Ford Six, a 212 cfm rating as a 1940 with a 1.352" venturi.

See link http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58612&p=449841#p450090
And the Holley carburetors and manifolds book.

ISBN 0-89586-433-9

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zR2yBC85L.Image._.jpg

Be aware that there are 26 historic Part Number listings of the Holley 1940.Some are generic, non Ford Std parts, others are full Autolite/Motorcraft listings with a Ford basic part number (BPN) with a letter suffix, and with that tag, you can find with 100% certainty that are carb is a big or little item.

I'll bet the 212 CFM ratings with the 1.352" venturi on 250, 240, 300 and older I block 223 and 262's won't be the same as the generic 144/170/200 item.

It is a big 223/262/240/250 or 300 carb if its PN coded:
R 4454-AAS
R 4468 AAS
R 4509 AAS
R 4520 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix A
R 4522 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix C
R 4523 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix D
R 4524 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix E
R 4525 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix F
R 4526 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix G
R 4527 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix H
R 4528 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix J
R 4536 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix Y (an early 223 replacement)
R 4537 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix Z (an early 262 replacement)
R 4692 AAA
R 4696 AAA

It's the little 144/170/200 stand in item if its PN coded as one of the following:-

R 4529 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix K
R 4530 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix L
R 4531 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix M
R 4532 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix N
R 4533 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix R
R 4535 AAS, additional BPN plate suffix T
R 4693 AAA
R 4694 AAA
R 4695 AAA
R 4697 AAA
R 4701 AAA

The listings for doubting Tom Co's, um Thomas'

3 listings http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/MasterList/index30.html
16 listings http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/MasterList/index31.html
7 lisings http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/MasterList/index32.html

#4694 is the little 144/170/200 1940 Holley 2-bbl with small venturi, not the bigger item for the 223/262/240/250 or 300.

Its not what you want, but if you could get another three 1940's of the bigger size, you would be able to easily run three of them in 1.352 venturi size, and you'd put a modified Ford Durapark and plane the head 100 thou and get a very good combination. There is an aftermarket 5970 tri power adaptor which would should fit if you can check from Offenhauser. Go for a cam upgrade to up to 274 Clay Smith, and then it'll work with brilliance.

I would personally go for a single 4-bbl 465 cfm on the Classic Inlines head, it'll make more performance with less cost. You can then use a much less aggressive cam, like the Competition Cam 260 or the Clay Smith 264.

Howdy 8track and all:

Q- "in regards to making choices about carburetor, ignition, and machine work." and assuming a 2v conversion in the future?

A- I'm guessing you are using an original Load-O-Matic distributor with the Holley 1940 carb. I'm guessing you know about the Spark Control Valve (SCV) link with them? So, know that to have a proper load and ignition advance link between carb and distributor advance you will need to change both, near the same time. My recommend is that you upgrade to a Duraspark II (DS II) ignition system ASAP, into your current system. Check your locale recycle yard for a donor, 1980s engine. Get the whole system; distributor, coil, module, spark plug wires and wiring harness. Once you have it spend some time cleaning it up and getting it ready. If you don't have a Carter YF or RBS yet, go ahead and install the DS II system. Set it up with about 16 degrees of initial advance and leave the vacuum line from the 1940 off and plugged at the carb. You will love this ignition and best of all your budget will love it.

YOu may want to skip this next step and go staight to the 2v setup while the late head is being worked on. Or find a YF From a 250 engine or RBS Carb. either will increase CFM over your 1940, idle better and have more power. Either will have a ported vacuum signal to the DS II. Hook it to the DS II and enjoy. If you buy a rebuilt carb inspect it carefully before installing. If you can find a recycle yard donor, rebuild it yourself and learn how it works.

When you get ready for the future head work, Check back for details like milling to regain CR, back cutting the intake valves, porting and polishing. Enjoy.

Adios, David

Adios, David

Thank for the info guys, I am having head milled down to 52 cc's, found a place to get HEI setup for about same cost it would have cost to go to DUI II, Got new ignition system installed and running good, vacuum tuned and timing advanced 12*. She is running good for small log and small carb cant wait until other pieces are done.

Back