What do I have here??

kosanders

Long story short.....my 200 blew a rod cap, My local Mustang shop had a runner 200 with the 250 head on it I picked up cheap. I don't know if they milled the head or what process they used installing it.

I'm trying to get the car back on the road and I'm running low on cash. I'm running into this problem putting my carb on. I have a Holley 1940.

First pic is my original engine. I tried removing the "T" piece and putting it on the new one but it's too small to fit.

What do I need? Just the basic adapter? Product ID: FSP-200-1VA-V Autolite 1V Carb Adaptor?

The 200 and the 250 have different size holes in the intake. I believe that the early 200 is 1.5" and the later 200 and all 250 have 1.75" throttle bore. Not sure but dnt think that the 1940 will go on to the head. I know that the adapter from the oringinal wont go on the 250 though. Good Luck John.

mid year 1969 the carb opening on the head went from 1.5 to 1.75 on all engine sizes. The 250 and 200 heads are the same. The carb spacer has a hot water passage which the out going heater hose connected to in order to faster warm up the carb in cold weather. C.I. May have an adapter but best bet would be to find a 69 and later carter yf or rbs.

kosanders":2frp3nmp said:
So why does the 250 head have the weird plate on it? Is there a reason for it?
:unsure: I don't know why someone would use that plate kind of defeats the perpose of having larger log head, but my guess would be that it was used to adapt an early smaller bore carb to the head. So will your carb bolt to the plate?

missed that when looking at it on my phone.... i agree it looks like a homemade carb adapter.

No it still doesn't fit with the homemade adapter..........but even if it did....it's sitting at the wrong angle for my linkage. See first pic....

8) the carb adapter in the picture is NOT a home made one, it is a factory piece and is used on all small sixes. they also have two different carb openings, 1.5 for the earlys and 1.75 for the later ones. the bolt pattern is also different, the 1,75 carbs are a bit wider than the early ones, which is why your early carb doesnt fit.

rbohm":1w8qhhht said:
8) the carb adapter in the picture is NOT a home made one, it is a factory piece and is used on all small sixes. they also have two different carb openings, 1.5 for the earlys and 1.75 for the later ones. the bolt pattern is also different, the 1,75 carbs are a bit wider than the early ones, which is why your early carb doesnt fit.

So what's the best way to fix this? I'm trying to get it back on the road at "minimum" expense.

kosanders":2byu55dq said:
rbohm":2byu55dq said:

So what's the best way to fix this? I'm trying to get it back on the road at "minimum" expense.

8) you can try elongating the bolt holes that hold the old adapter to the new head, that way you can use the older carb.

You can make one for practically nothing if you have a drill press and some taps. Get a big hunk of aluminum about 1" thick. Drill a 1.5" hole in the center of it. Drill & tap some holes to mount your carb at the correct angle. Drill some other holes that will bolt to the 250 head (countersink some allen head bolts in there).

Back