Another exhaust question...

Sav63comet

I just ordered our host's header (headers? It is two seperate bits?) for my Comet. I was goin to put it off but realized it'd be false thrift as I'll go crazy trying to stop the exhaust leaks from my current home made manifold.

As this was an unexpected expense I'm tryin to work out the simplest/ least expensive way to get the stinky gases out from under the car.

My plan is to route one pipe straight back then dump it in front of the wheel, jog the other under the trans then do it the same out the drivers side.

I've been running a single pipe out the back with no muffler for years now, been popped for speeding and having blue dots on my taillights, never had any issues about the noise. 1963 model so it's off the radar for emmsions checks.

Being split is it going to be way louder? Stock engine so I'm thinking 1.5 or 1.75 pipes. If its to much I figure I can easily install whatever the longest glass pack style mufflers
that will fit.

the larger pipe size will give a deeper tone but too big will hurt low end torque here is a good pipe sizeing chart from magnaflow, http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp ,the longer mufflers should help with the noise level. I would think 1 3/4" would work good on a stock engine. is this a 170 or 200? I went 2" on my tri-power 200 , cliffords recommendation for the 200 in street performance trim is 1 7/8" to 2" pipe size for duals.

It's a 250, stock out of a '72 maverick. I do want to go dual. If 2" isn't so big as to cause performance problems that would be easier. Increase muffler options and such.

I kept it simple on dual out header exhaust on my two cars and very satisfied. Typical available pipe and pre-bent connections are most common 2" , 2" SS band clamps allow easy R&R , added reasonable sounding (and priced) Smithy' long silencers exiting ahead of rear wheels. ...

'61 Comet 250 TriPower/Hooker 6602's/Smithy' silencers :
<> <>

... flex pipes are a good idea, especially if 250 six power is used 8)

.. preferred stock muffler sound (X2) for the daily driver '63 Wagon:
<>

? :
suggestion for over the axle behind rear wheel pipes application that could fit roundbod's appreciated...

thabks

Back