radiator options

72maverick

are most people here using the stock radiator or after market aluminium radiators? What are your preferences when it comes to radiators?

72maverick":22ovdiv4 said:
are most people here using the stock radiator or after market aluminium radiators? What are your preferences when it comes to radiators?
I'm personally using a stock replacement, and it generally seems to do pretty well. I almost wish I went for an aluminum one just for a little extra cooling ability, though. I know there's at least a couple members here with aluminum.

:unsure: Guys.From what I have read,the ONLY reason that OEMs went to an aluminum rad was to save weight.Brass/copper does a much better job of heat transfer than aluminum.
If I am wrong,some one please correct me.Thanks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

woodbutcher":2aczruuz said:
:unsure: Guys.From what I have read,the ONLY reason that OEMs went to an aluminum rad was to save weight.Brass/copper does a much better job of heat transfer than aluminum.
If I am wrong,some one please correct me.Thanks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

This has been may thinking as well! Being an IT guy, I know aluminum headsinks are the cheap ones, and usually want to go with copper

-Nick

X3 Copper Brass Radiators cool better, that said Aluminum radiators will save some weight and also cool well. An Alum Rad in order to be able to match the cooling of a Copper Brass Rad has to have much larger tubes :nod:

Indeed. I have *zero* complaints about the old style stock radiators. I keep thinking about going to aluminum to save a little weight and maybe gain sufficient clearance for an electric fan, but even when it's hot outside my little 4 blade fan and the brass/copper radiator keeps the Falcon's temp gauge right in the middle. Hard to beat!

I went with a V8 radiator when I had to give up on my old one. I can't remember if its a Comet part or Mustang. :0
Don't remember how many rows but it was bigger than the I6 unit, bolted right in.
The bottom hose is on the wrong size. I use a pair of hoses and a 45* exhaust bend to deal with that.

My '61 has an inexpensive Advance Auto radiator for a Mustang 6-cyl. It's a 3-row and the specs say it's 2" thick. It was a real tight fit because of the additional thickness and because my car has A/C. I could easily move if forward, but couldn't go very far before I ran out of room for the A/C coil, even with the hood latch support narrowed by about an inch. Final clearance between the radiator and factory 6-blade fan is less than 1/2 inch.

So far, I'm really pleased with how it cools. The temps have only hit the mid-80's, but with the A/C going, the temp gauge doesn't budge, whether I'm idling or on the highway. I'll know more in a month when it's over 100, but I'm not expecting any surprises.

I can't imagine an aluminum radiator fitting or working any better, especially the lower priced generic no-name units that I was considering. I'm glad I went this route.

-Stu

Back