FOD - Foreign Object Debris Identification - and a story

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

Any one have any idea what this thingy and spring is? Was resting against a pushrod. Oil pump part? Fuel pump? Thermostat?
doodad_zps5a5459f1.gif

Here's some pics of the D8BE 6090 BA head.
head1_zps33a4fc51.jpg

Grimy sucka!
head2_zps13998c4c.jpg

http://clarks.cowhill.net:88/gallery2/v/mustang/IMG_20130520_221331_274.jpg.html
One of the interesting things I noticed with the casting marks is that during the carb hole milling operation - the cutter cut into the 'FIRI' NG ORDER letters. FIRI is missing... I suppose this is common? Also, What's the big 'X' on there mean?

The story of the roadtrip...

Decided to take an overnight trip and picked the complete engine up. Threw it in the back of my Subaru. Luckily, I had put down a tarp and the Subaru has a nice plastic trunk liner. Because... although I DID BRING tools AND a laundry detergent bottle to specifically DRAIN OIL INTO... I, for some reason... did not do this. I figured... where's it gonna go. Well, about 4 quarts can leak out... needless to say, the Mrs. wasn't very pleased. NOT only was I picking up something I 'didn't need cluttering up the garage'. It was stinky and made a huge mess (but was contained to the tarp/plastic liner). AND she was convinced that we'd have some long term affects from exposure to motor oil fumes. (ok, I agree with her that it was unpleasant). The Subaru cleaned up fine, and there's no need to call the EPA on me because I carefully cleaned up my mess...

Anyhow, I got the thing home Saturday night and by Sunday night it was on a stand and in it's component pieces. I have to cut/drill off the exhaust manifold bolt heads because I see no reasonably efficient way to unstuck them.

Other than the block and head - some of the other things this engine has is an emissions motorcraft carb 1-bbl, a nice looking stock fomoco aluminum air cleaner assy, a throttle cable setup and all bracketry to the block and head, a good rear-sump oil pan, timing cover, 3 pully accessory drive setup, lopsided fan, non-clutch.

All in all, had a good drive, ate some good seafood, visited some cool towns, saw some decent scenery, and had a great time with the wife on a totally unnecessary adventure... And it got me out of having to paint the kitchen this past weekend! :D

- Perry Clark

8) dont cut the exhaust manifold bolts. start by getting a good penetrating oil, royal purple has a good one available from your local parts store, and soak the bolts overnight before you try removing them.

Your "FOD" are parts from a broken PCV valve . That makes me worry about the overall previous care of that engine . That's the kind of thing that should have been removed to prevent further damage unless someone couldn't figure out that was why the engine began running funny and condemned it :unsure: . Not so good mechanic either way :nono: .

Back