Advice on Monte Carlo bar interference

JAGGUY

I have read someone made a Monte Carlo bar for Mustangs with the 6 cylinder but that it isn't offered anymore.
I bought a curved bar that is commonly available and put it on.

As i figured, with the stock valve cover there isn't clearance for the oil cap.

Anyone here have knowledge of which valve cover may work with the bar installed?

I appreciate any thoughts on the subject!

-greg

I thought I read somewhere that the only way to get it to work was to shift the mounting points forward. Reuse the front holes and then drill another pair in front of them. I haven't tried it yet though, maybe someone else knows.

:unsure: Some of the later model valve covers have a rear Breather cap and the PCV at front.

I've thought about doing something like that thesameguy and adding a breather to the cover at another place.
I don't see an added on breather on your engine, but you must have one?

Thanks for all the responses.

I looked at some pics of the monte carlo bar install on CI and see a lot of them have been mounted forward from the intended location.
Just not sure if I want to drill 8 more holes in the sheet metal....

How much hood clearance at that point ? Maybe you could have a muffler shop make up a short extension to move the cap above the bar ?

Are you using the stock air cleaner? If I remember right, that one actually goes between the oil cap and the air cleaner, and the curve goes around the air cleaner.... I don't know if that means you have to drill new holes to get it closer to the firewall though.

I ordered a low profile push in sealed cap that I think will fit the tube.
I plan on cutting down the filler tube as needed and installing a fitting to the rocker cover to run a hose to the bottom of the air cleaner...
This engine was originally a closed system, so that put it back to "stock"...

what year Mustang? the 67 has shapes on the aprons that the earlier ones do not have so you have to either dent them in or trim the mounting plates

The monte carlo bar designed for the weber carb setup will work, used it on my 66 Mustang I6 with stock air filter with no problems (y)

Modded what was needed to fit the monte carlo bar today.
Got a low profile sealed oil cap that fit the tube on the valve cover.

Removed the valve cover and cut the filler tube about an inch.

Drilled a hole in the valve cover to fit a pvc valve grommet directly below the air cleaner.

Drilled a corresponding hole in the air cleaner and screwed a 1/2" brass fitting into it.

Put a 1/2 brass fitting in the grommet in the v/c and and reinstalled the v/c.

Put the air cleaner back on with a 1/2" hose in between the fittings so the crankcase can vent with the sealed oil cap installed.

Installed the monte carlo bar. Not lots of room to get the oil cap on & off but there is enough...
Think I can still get the v/c off & back on with the bar in place.

Hey, this is what it's all about. Other guys just buy something in a box. Nice solution, BTW.

That looks great. I think it's so much cleaner to use the v8 bar with the curve in the middle where it actually curves around the engine. It always looked a little weird to me with the i6 bar where the curve was off to the side... especially if you're not using the big stock air cleaner. Nice job!

Back