Weber 38 Float Sticking Closed

MT63AFX

After finally getting the plastic float set to 18mm from cover gasket to top of float (that's parallel to cover as well and a PITA) and 2mm needle travel, the float is shut/sticking closed when installing cover to carb body. Each time I install the cover, I try to blow through the fuel inlet to check that the float is down without any luck. A quick shot of compressed air and the float drops and I can hear the air moving through the bowl and out the top openings. Turn on fuel pump, fill bowl, start car, and it dies once the bowl's been emptied. Have done this repeatedly and am unable to find where the float is hanging up. Installed new Viton needle/seat and same same, repeatedly. Anyone experience this and what solution solved the issue? Should I crank the regulator up to 7psi or bypass the regulator (AirTex pump with 7-9psi)? Thanks, RodC

BTW, anyone have a photo of how their float arm is bent to get their 18mm measurement? Are your floats parallel to the cover? Is the bend at the float-end only and using the needle tab or are you using an offset bend from axis to float-end? There ain't much room in the fuel bowl for the float, :unsure:

It seems you have an opposite problem than I encountered several years ago with a Weber. Everything seemed to check out, but when the top was reinstalled there was some interference and the float would not completely close which made it flood out. I was about to junk it from total disgust, when on very close inspection, I noticed it. Once set up properly the Webers seem to work beautifully but can be somewhat frustrating to get to that point. All I can do is offer encouragement as I don't remember exactly what was hanging up. GOOD LUCK with it.

Fred

Back