Getting the alternator off my 1967 Mustang 200 ci

67drewstang

I've completely removed everything except the pivot bolt from my 1967 Mustang 200 ci engine. It pivots freely, and nut is off the aft end, but the bolt refuses to budge. Cannot turn it with a wrench and cannot drive it out with a hammer. Heat is next, but am wondering if there is something I'm not thinking about here.

Any suggestions?

I had this exact problem last week on my 65. What I ended up doing is undoing the bracket bolts holding it on the block... Even after getting the alternator on the bench, using a 4lb hammer, and propane torch I could not get the bolt out of the alternator. I ended up cutting the head off bolt and a couple light taps with a punch the bolt dropped out.. It seem after 40+ years the bolt bent at the ends.... good luck.

Yep. That's exactly where I am on this. Just going to buy another bolt at the hardware store and run with it.

I cannot believe that alternator lasted as long as it did. I almost got tetanus from looking at it.

Just as an addendum, I ended up taking a grinder to the alternator, cutting clear through the body near the tail end of the bolt inside the bracket and then cut the head off.

A new alternator was only $40, and I sacrificed my $5 core charge and it took all of 30 seconds of work.

A new bolt was 85 cents from the hardware store (grade 5, just like the one that was on it), and I splurged on a new lock washer and nut for 39 cents.

Spending $6.24 to avoid the PITA was worth it to me.

Back