Trying to install OZ head on 200

Ronbo

Famous Member
A little background first. I bought the head a few years back and it was refurbished by a reliable source. Can't remember the specs on it thats how reliable the source is, knows what he is doing if you will. I put the head on and it ran fair so I played with timing and jetting to get it running better. There is not a port divider installed and the over the counter exhaust gasket burned out at the 3/4 ports. Continued to drive it until the heat got up into the home made intake gasket and it burned up in short order. I was running the 1.6 ratio rocker assy and it threw both pushrods in cylinder #2. Put them back in and the car ran for a few miles more then shut down completely. Car sat for a few years until I got off my butt and did a compression test. 150 at both ends 120 at 4/5 (blown head gasket for sure) and 180/175 respectively at 2/3. Pulled head and it appears it never sealed properly (coolant leaks) but no tell tale tracks of compression leak at 4/5. No bent push rods or valves and no holes in the pistons (than you!). It appears the final let go was in cylinder two which had alot of gook (massive coolant leak?) on the piston. Add the lower compression in 4/5 and that is probably what caused the no start situation.

I now have the correct intake gaskets, a header gasket from Mike, and a new head gasket. The head was ported, polished and cc'd. Will the over the counter head gasket work with the OZ head? Are there any tips on getting the thing to seal up this time? I know about the water jacket up by number one cylinder being troublesome. ANY help will be appreciated. Just want this thing back on the road so I can teach my son to drive :)

8) i believe the 250 2v head used the same head gasket as the US blocks, so you should be good to go there.

I have had good luck using the Felpro head gasket. Use no sealer but DO use sealer on the threads for the number one passenger side head bolt as it extends into the water jacket. Also, don't be afraid to re-torque the head after a few heat cycles....it is totally ok to do that ( I recommend doing this ).

Head gasket is the same as the log head. Good quality gasket such as Felpro mentioned. Grab a can of Hylomar if you can and give the gasket a good coat both sides.
You will have issues with a standard exhaust gasket, the ports on the 2V are smaller, so it partially sits in the exhaust flow and burns...

I was looking at the stock exhaust gasket and that bird definitely won't fly. No wonder I had problems. Don't know how I missed that one :roll: I have the Felpro gasket and that was the one I used initially, maybe the hylomar will help. Should I throw a port divider in the head while I have it apart? I'm thinking it may help with the exhaust gasket sealing. I now have a classic inlines gasket for the exhaust.

i had the same problems with the felpro gasket. wouldn't seal the center port.
what i did was order a classic inline gasket and have remflex make a custom run of 5 gaskets patterned after this.
fits perfect and has held up in my car ever since. maybe they still have the patterns for this at remflex...

Tody, the victor head gasket is .005" thinner . This would up your compression.
Victor is sold through carquest auto parts.
Five thousands is not much, but if you ever have to true up the head it would leave a little more meat plus give you a little more compression. Bill

Back