Updates on my Ranchero mods

I base my Opinion in facts , Yes the T-5 was not rated as THE strongest trans , But many stock eliminator racers swear by them ( and I know Drag Racing ) I also feel if a design was good the Aftermarket will endorse it This is Just one of the Companies that make parts for a T-5, they as well as I am in Pa and I know the Company Owner , as I said before I do not Post opinions without something to back them up in fact , I also guess you should work for Ford as They obviously do not know anything about cars ( the head up their Butt comment ) the T-5 is a Great transmission for almost any Falcon combo , Especially the Falcon 6 http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

FalconSedanDelivery":1srh0pkf said:
I base my Opinion in facts , Yes the T-5 was not rated as THE strongest trans , But many stock eliminator racers swear by them ( and I know Drag Racing ) I also feel if a design was good the Aftermarket will endorse it This is Just one of the Companies that make parts for a T-5, they as well as I am in Pa and I know the Company Owner , as I said before I do not Post opinions without something to back them up in fact , I also guess you should work for Ford as They obviously do not know anything about cars ( the head up their Butt comment ) the T-5 is a Great transmission for almost any Falcon combo , Especially the Falcon 6 http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp
Good website for those who want to modify the T-5. FSD this is right in your back yard.
I can see where racers would use the modified T-5 without the synchronizers for strictly racing.
Without these mods the T-5 is still a piece of crap. Even with these mods I would still use the Tremec or a roller modded C-4.
Yes the T-5 is a cheap 5sp, let your wallet be your guide.
One advantage is the light weight & availability of the T-5 compared to other options.
Some members might want to see if its cost effective vs tremec.

Well, well, well… you guys have quite the little fuss going on and I didn’t even know it. Turns out, I’m not even subscribed to my own thread! :shock:

So anyways, I am fixing to go out and install my differential insert back into my rear end. Yep, about a week ago I decided to drop in 3.80 gears because the 3.55 seemed too tall for me and my bigger off road tires. I’ve also got some new Monroe “load sensor” shocks (whatever that is supposed to mean) to replace the air shocks. I’ll let ya’ll know how it turns out as soon as I get a test drive in.

Boedy

Okay, now that’s a lot better! The 3.80 gearing is much better for my application than the previous 3.55 setup. I find myself in fourth gear a lot and sometimes even in 5th if I’m on a fast back road. Before, I only EVER hit 5th if I was on the interstate wanting speeds around 65mph. I will say however, I wish there had been an option for a 3.73 because now it is just slightly over geared. But again, just slightly. I am much happier with the transmission now, but I still stick to my original comments. I don’t see the big deal with it, really.

Transmission- $150
Rear end that could be geared to match the 5 speed- $100
Rebuilding the rear end with posi and 3.55 gears- $600 (approx.)
Adapter plate, clutch, and all that stuff- $600 (approx.)
’85 Thunderbird driveshaft + 1” lengthening- $200 (approx.)

Okay right here we are already at approximately $1650. If this was all I had to spend, I might have been pretty happy. But it goes on…

First test drive I realize my mighty $150 transmission is bad. I’m kinda over it so I take it to a shop to have it pulled, then take it to have it rebuilt. This whole process= about $1200.

Get it all together and it’s pretty good, but the transmission is kinda whiny and nothing all that special. I also realize that I didn’t do so good of a job with rebuilding the rear end myself as the pinion wants to move back and forth when I let off and on the gas, so with a new job starting in a weeks time I decide to pull the hogs head out and take it to a driveline shop. I realize that this should be the last time I ever take that damn rear end apart for a very long time, and should be sure to have my gearing straight, so I tell the guy to go ahead and install the 3.80 gears even though he quoted me a whopping $859 to do it!!!!! But, I’m in a bit of a time crunch and again my mind says, “this is it for a very long time, just do it”. And so I did.

Now, I finally have the driveline squared away. But for $3,709 (approximately, it’s most definitely more when you add in the gaskets, oil, and miscellaneous shit), I have to say– It definitely was NOT worth it. But alas, water under the bridge, Julio is running great and all is right with the world. I’m not one to worry about mistakes here and there, just happiness in the moment.

But for those of you looking to do this swap, make sure you know what your getting yourself into. My case is a little different I know, because I wanted a specific rear end setup and an S10 tail shaft, but still, hazards are EVERYWHERE when you attempt something like this. And junkyard transmissions are usually in the junkyard for a reason.

Oh, and my speedometer still doesn’t work. I need to fork out another $300 for a cable-X box…

…just saying’

Boedy

The Ranchero sounds like it's ready to be enjoyed now that the "throw money at it" phase is finished. Drive it all you can and enjoy simple mods to the small block six which can really wake up the small block six anvil'. The 250 swap is ambitious in early cars but I'll vouch for the major change in performance available - stock 250 or with any degree of help.

I run two early cars with 'stang T5's, SBF TL/T5 adapters, "C4 conversion" crossmembers and a few sawzall mods. A daily driver '63 wagon with NWC 5.0 T5 with a warmed up 170 and OEM 3.50:1 rear cruises inter-state or orchard roads easily. The more warmed up 250 / T5 61 gets slammed at the track with Mav. 3.80:1 4lug 8" posi and still cruises interstate speeds easily . Probably total under grand spent on T5's but I missed a few shifts on the T5-Z/250 61' and after 2 seasons the T5 could use another $200 rebuild kit. ;) ...

camaro v-6 trans with S-10 tail-shaft, here are the ratios:
3.75, 2.19, 1.41, 1.00 and 0.72

I am much happier with the transmission now, but I still stick to my original comments. I don’t see the big deal with it, really.
Oh, and my speedometer still doesn’t work. I need to fork out another $300 for a cable-X box…

Compared to typical 'stang V8 T5 ratios, the GM T5 3.75 first and .72 OD is much lower geared like the 4cyl Ford T5's ratios . (V8 T5 firsts typically are 3.35 or 2.95:1 and OD' = .68:1). It may be the typical GM ratios are less suited to the small block six powerband. The speedo issue is brought up in most GM / S10 tail - T5 swaps.

'never did learn to drive a slushomatic... .

Back