Bang sorted out, now a question on blow...

Nice- I will be printing out that picture and taking it to the shop.

Headers are on the way, the GT valence trim rings are on the way, port divider is on the way, and the 2" GT trumpet tips are on backorder (always has to be one part on back order when you order from CJs).

I've read a couple articles suggesting the head has to be off the engine to install the port divider- true or not?

You don't have to take the head off to install the port divider. The one I bought was slightly larger than the port and required "trimming" to make fit. I used a die grinder to remove the metal in the way. I trimmed mine so that it was ever so slightly above the surface to the exhaust port flange. That way is was compressed when I put the header on and doesn't rattle. Other guys here recommend a spot weld to keep it from rattling in the port.

mugsy":9gxw71yp said:
You don't have to take the head off to install the port divider. The one I bought was slightly larger than the port and required "trimming" to make fit. I used a die grinder to remove the metal in the way. I trimmed mine so that it was ever so slightly above the surface to the exhaust port flange. That way is was compressed when I put the header on and doesn't rattle. Other guys here recommend a spot weld to keep it from rattling in the port.
Plan to spend a good amount of time getting the port divider to fit. They are intentionally made larger than the port in the head so you must grind and fit...grind and fit...until you get a nice tight fit. As mentioned you don't want it to rattle in the head. ;)

Maybe I got lucky, it took me about 1/2 an hour of dorking around with it to get fit. I was using an air die grinder on my little Craftsman air compressor too!

Back