side exit exhaust?

sefus

Im coming up with a system that will at least look a little fun, but wondering how it will sound. basically wanting to do a dual side exit exhaust. Either go off the dual out header, to and x pipe, whatever mufflers will sound good then out the sides but dont know how much room I'll really have to work with. Anyway, wondering if anyone has ran their sixes with dual side exits and what they thought. I know sides are annoying when driving next to something, blow up dust and dump exhaust into the open window and all that, but for how little I drive this thing Im open to the option of it. Thoughts?

8) are you talking side pipes, or just dumping the exhaust out in front of the rear tires? either way one issue you will have is the noise of the exhaust dumping out right behind your ear. with side pipes, you get mufflers built in, in some models. also with side pipes where there are no mufflers built in, you have the issue of exhaust routing complete with two 180 degree bends in the pipe which causes a severe restriction in flow.

Im talking mufflers and dumping before the rear wheels. Dont know how much Im worried about flow restriction with a 100 hp engine :p

sefus":31vlfh6g said:
Im talking mufflers and dumping before the rear wheels. Dont know how much Im worried about flow restriction with a 100 hp engine :p

thats simple then. just run the pipes into the mufflers, and the a 90 degree bend in the pipe exiting the mufflers, or a 45 depending on where the mufflers are placed, and exit the pipes ahead of the rear tires.

well sure, thats not an issue, Im wondering if anyone who has done it liked it. The sound from the i6 is hard to get right it seems and im worried that dumping it right there may exasperate the issue.

Well, have you thought of just putting mufflers and pipes on and terminating them right before your 45 deg right hand bend?

Run it like that for awhile and see how you like it. Keep the window down, of course, so you don't asphyxiate yourself. At that point, it's really a minor cost to either make the turn or have them continue on to the back, ala Jaguar E type.

I'm seriously considering going with either a side dump or the E type side by sides out the right rear.

Back