Cracked blocks common?

JAGGUY

Even though I have my 200 running great it had a cracked block at the right side front head bolt when I bought it and will never be right.
All it does is weep a little coolant, never enough to hit the ground but enough to stain the side of the block. I've tried different block sealers but they don't stop the leaking completely.

I've been looking for another block to replace it. I've found three so far and all three are cracked in the same place.
I guess the crack is from not cleaning out the bolt hole in the block and hydraulic pressure causes it to crack when the head bolt is torqued down?

JAGGUY":zk91mcyr said:
Even though I have my 200 running great it had a cracked block at the right side front head bolt when I bought it and will never be right.
All it does is weep a little coolant, never enough to hit the ground but enough to stain the side of the block. I've tried different block sealers but they don't stop the leaking completely.

I've been looking for another block to replace it. I've found three so far and all three are cracked in the same place.
I guess the crack is from not cleaning out the bolt hole in the block and hydraulic pressure causes it to crack when the head bolt is torqued down?

cracked ford blocks dont seem to be common, though they do happen for a number of reasons. you might try cleaning the area thoroughly, and sealing the crack with JB weld. let it set up thoroughly before you retorque that head bolt.

Actually on mine, the crack runs about 3" south of the top of the block.
I think I have a pic..

Here it is. Cracked area was covered with JB Weld when I took the pic. The crack in the block is the same as what's seen in the pic under the 'JB'

That pic looks like there was a previous repair, does not look normal to me.

block_zps68848f18.jpg

If I'm seeing the pics correctly, it looks like there are two different areas with JB weld on them.
The big crack /fix looks like someone torqued a w/p bolt to tight or broke it off.
IIRC that is a thin spot on the side of the block.

If it were mine, I'd get some aircraft remover (paint stripper) and take a look at what's underneath the paint. Should be fairly easy at that point to figure out what's what.

kboldin":21488h0o said:
If it were mine, I'd get some aircraft remover (paint stripper) and take a look at what's underneath the paint. Should be fairly easy at that point to figure out what's what.

Already done that.
Like I said above the crack extends 3" down from the top of the block and is the same shape & size as the crack in the JB.
This block is toast and I am looking for another to replace it but so far three out of three I have looked at were cracked the same.

So I have to assume it is a fairly common problem.

Thanks for the help.

Back