Finally sorted out my DUI...

Varilux

Just a follow-up on my DUI install...

The intermittent miss ended up being entirely my fault. Besides the clips that hold the individual tach and ignition plugs, there is a dual plug that goes from the distributor to the cap. I had this plug installed, but not quite tightened to the point where the clips on the plug engaged. Therefore, the wires were loose- causing the occasional miss.

Also, as I believe a few have mentioned, the DUI definitely advances too far at 3000 rpm. My buddy who is a GM guy took one look and said "use a spring to fix the ping." I went to Autozone, ordered a recurve spring kit for $15, and found there was one set of springs in the kit that were stiffer than the springs that came on the DUI. Installed the springs, and the car runs MUCH better through the entire RPM range (I no longer have to back off the timing at idle to keep it from pinging at 3500rpm). All-in-all, I'm now very happy with the DUI distributor. Sure, its $350, I had to end up buying and modifying a GM distributor hold down clamp, and the advance was set too high for my car, but- once you get the thing sorted out- it does a good job!

Now I'm having the Classic Inlines dual header installed (along with the port divider I ordered from CJs). The dual exhaust will exit through GT tips and the GT valence, completing the "GT Sprint" theme I was going for.

I put a DUI in my "other project car" which is a '68 Catalina. I thought it was a nice upgrade too; actually one of the better ones. I've had some pinging issues too so its nice to know about the spring set. I would have put a DUI in my Mustang but I found a complete DS-II in a junk yard car. A DUI might be a future upgrade for the Mustang!

What your doing is installing such a strong spring which limits the advance to a higher RPM , BUT the potential is still there for problems because it really doesn't stop advance , and at higher rpms you may not hear it because of the engines noise ,mechanically limiting the advance mechanism is the SAFE way , but that takes MORE than springs on the DUI

Amen, that's why they are such a pain to properly setup.
I'll take a DSII with an MSD box anyway-any day.
As I stated before 90% of the distributors by owners on this forum are not properly set-up.

"...with an MSD box..."
it's a 6AL model? How much are they?
Thanks,

Back