Aussie cross flow head

mike1157

Can I get one? I've tried a couple of Aussie eBay sale sites,.. they either don't reply, or state that it's too much trouble. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Realize that you will also need the crossflow cam, intake, and exhaust/header.
US parts will not work with this head.

rocklord":18y03req said:
Realize that you will also need the crossflow cam, intake, and exhaust/header.
US parts will not work with this head.
Plan on making intake and exhaust,.. why would I need a cam that's different from what comes in the block?
Different pushrods I understand,... a cam ground to take advantage of the different profile,... yes....but a "cross flow cam"?
There is a "how to" on this website that details the procedure,.... I have taken all that into consideration.

I just need the head.

mike1157":dr5mq9rd said:
Can I get one? I've tried a couple of Aussie eBay sale sites,.. they either don't reply, or state that it's too much trouble. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Aussie is an expansive continent with only 23 million people, and there were 4 million Falcon sixes with about a little less than 500 000 alloy head engines from 1980 to 1991. A good perecentage of which have ended up smeltered down into Chinese consumer goods. You have to lower your expectations...

Mike W from Classic Inlines has been good enough to put all the info on his site. His aluminim 2V set up is cheaper, better and requires less parts. You do the math.

Aussie Crossflow cam - US cams will not work since the port arrangement is different. The stock EFI cam is a good choice for a mild engine. Crow Cams makes a variety of hotter cams, as do other Aussie cam vendors.

http://www.classicinlines.com/XFheadswap.asp

So, you need to rework the cam to suit the crossflows even cylinder 1 to 6 E/I arrangement.

The little log head 144 to 250 six has grouped exhast valves on No 3 and 4, like a slant six. Or the early small block Mopar or Chevy small blocks. The cross flow head is Cleveland style, not like the US small six, so the Stock Cam Doesn't Work.

Its that simple.

You need a new cam....

There used to be a Jack Collins Crossflow Chronicles file, but the Classic inlines article and any mustang6 posts on his Locost Six covers this off.

I didn't see the cam change requirement in all the swap-over stuff I've read these 10 yrs either. As a non mechanic of engineer I must have missed it too.
Thank you.
I had hoped to switch back and forth, but reality has sunk in (finally).
Even the earlier heads (iron) would require the cam change in an amerikan 250?

chad":2lmktyjo said:
I didn't see the cam change requirement in all the swap-over stuff I've read these 10 yrs either. As a non mechanic of engineer I must have missed it too.
Thank you.
I had hoped to switch back and forth, but reality has sunk in (finally).
Even the earlier heads (iron) would require the cam change in an amerikan 250?

Yes, the US 250 as well. The cam swap is very easy, as all the hard dimesnsions match, but it is a requirement.

Only issue with the swap is the mods Jack made to the cooling, the need to compensate for the X-flows pistons which are always 10 cc deeper for 200 and 250 engines, and the cam. You can chop and change between heads if you Jack Collins mods and use another plate to cater for the different head widths. A log head can fit on to a cross flow block if you place a tapered steel head gasket spacer which allows the stock headers to fit on the wider cross flow block. The X-flow runs taller head bolts, but that's about it. This method allows you to bring the pistons up about 225 thou in the bore, above the deck. Then a 250 thou plate goes on top, which can contain either the width increase to fit an X-flow onto a log head block, or a width decrease, to fit the log head on an x-flow block.

Fitting a Classic Inlines head on an x-flow block is then possible. That allows an easy roller cam conversion, since the x-flow block is a lot stronger and has huge space for a big block roller rocker tappet conversion.

8) i actually saved the crossflow chronicles so if anyone wants a copy shoot me an email at rbohm @netzero.net and i will send you a zip file containing everything i have on putting a cross flow head on an american block.

Ahh, dis es gud!
Thanks X & rbohm...

"...a 250 thou plate goes on top, which can contain either the width increase to fit an X-flow onto a log head block..."
that sounds like another requirement as I don't have a x-flow block.
What;s a "plate"?

I got into this idea cuz as a young adult i heard of guys ("out West") puttin the Oz head on their race cars ( late '60s) and tearin it up. I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50 y/o now (still no money).

Today I'm more interested in Tq (as U may have seek my "rap" here) for the vehicle (an in swamps/woods/hills wrk vehicle) but have not forsaken the (early x-flow) idea as something for a 2nd 250 engine I have.

Alright, bed X, tootles for now.
Thanks again, guys...

8) the plate refers to a strap of steel about 1/4" thick and about 2" wide that runs the length of the block and is either welded or epoxied in place to reinforce the top of the block and to allow meat for clearancing the push rod openings required to fit the cross flow head to the US block. if you dont have it email me and i will send you what jack wrote.

super4ord":3nauvfz3 said:
I have an aluminum crossflow head that I'd be interested in selling or trading. I can send you some pics after work, if you're interested. I have one each: valve cover gasket, head gasket, intake manifold gasket to go with, plus some other stuff too. I have too many projects, and don't think I'll ever get to this, or it will be years down the road.

Darrell
pm'd you

I have a Crow 14650(IIRC) crossflow cam, NIB if you're still lacking a cam. 2 headgaskets, stock valves, springs, and retainers(if I can find the smaller pieces, it's been a while...)

Back