Header and Dual Exhaust Installed!

Varilux

I can't figure out how to get pics to post here, but I've created a Tumblr site that follows my '65 from day one here: http://www.just-a-six.tumblr.com

In a word- AMAZING! I couldn't be happier with the job the shop did installing the header and exhaust. Although I wouldn't make a practice out of it, you can do pull-ups on the pipes and they don't budge, and the tips are perfectly centered and have zero wobble. The sound for the most part is awesome. Idle sounds almost like an 8cyl, and its "civilized" up to about 3,500 rpms- above that it sounds like its a very pissed off lion or something.

I'm surprised at the difference it makes in the driving feel. The most dramatic change is the way the rpms now drop off when I shift. I'm going to have to shift faster, because the needle just drops like a rock when you let off the gas and depress the clutch (before it used to come down much slower). On the flip side, it goes up through the rpms a LOT faster. It feels like there's possibly a bit less torque down low- but cruising in 5th gear is MUCH improved. Previously, the car would "thrum" between 50-60mph in 5th gear (like it didn't have enough torque for the gear)- now it just hums along in 5th. It would be nice if there was a way to tune the amount of back pressure in the system (to get just a bit of the low-end torque back and possibly slow down the drop off in revs during shifts) but I have a feeling as I get used to things I'll enjoy it just as it is. (Of course, it is now raining in Dallas for the first time in months- so no driving tomorrow.)

Anyway, if you're on the fence about doing headers, go for it! Completely changes the car (and the rear GT '65-66 valence is one of my all time favorite Mustang styling cues)...

Very beauteful car (y)
Your car has factory A/C ?
Do you have problems when you put headers with A/C bracket ?
Thanks

Varilux, posting pics:

1 get a photo hosting account at something like photobucket, snapfish or flickr.

2 upload your shots there

3 use the hosting links for posting photos. The will have a code with the prefix 'img'

4 click and drop the link code in the F6F message box and 'preview.' If it is too big, the F6F site will tell you. Reduce size and try again with 'preview' until it loads.

what mufflers did you end up going with? and I'm guessing just straight duals with no H or X pipe?

Thanks!

A/C was one of the few options originally ordered on my '65. I have a factory style A/C - alternator combo bracket with the A/C compressor on top, but the stock compressor has been swapped for a Sanden (which involves an additional bracket that is mounted on the A/C bracket).

The A/C bracket has to be modified to allow the #1 tube of the header to clear. From what I've seen, most people extend the bracket so the compressor moves closer to the battery. On mine, the shop altered the bracket to move the compressor up- which looks good and seems to work well. You'll also have to eliminate the rear "bar support" that goes from the bracket to the block- but if you have the lighter Sanden compressor the bar isn't necessary anyway.

Thanks for the tips on posting images. This site seems particularly restrictive on size (usually, I can post an image on Vintage Mustangs, then just reference the URL- but here it kicks images out that are over 600 pixels tall). I'll have to try Photobucket (just getting used to Tumblr).

The exhaust components from front to back are: Classic Inlines dual out header in stainless, followed by their stainless downpipes, dual 2" mid-exhaust connected by an H-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 2" over the axle tail pipes, Scott Drake 2" GT trumpet tips. There is a picture of the H-pipe and mufflers here: http://25.media.tumblr.com/5fee08ad56721be846b6e3467f23b5b8/tumblr_mtek42l0JX1sgxuf1o3_1280.jpg

Once it stops raining (which it can do for as long as it pleases after this hot, dry DFW summer), I'll get outside and take some glamour shots!

Varilux":3t7399j1 said:
The A/C bracket has to be modified to allow the #1 tube of the header to clear. From what I've seen, most people extend the bracket so the compressor moves closer to the battery. On mine, the shop altered the bracket to move the compressor up- which looks good and seems to work well. You'll also have to eliminate the rear "bar support" that goes from the bracket to the block- but if you have the lighter Sanden compressor the bar isn't necessary anyway.
Do you have pictures of your bracket ?
Thanks

what series flowmasters? Im still trying to find the right sound for a 6cyl and your description sounds close to waht Id be happy with.

There's a pic of the bracket at the www.varilux.tumblr.com site (just click on the latest series of pics, then click till the bracket comes up). I'll try to take a better picture of the bracket over the weekend.

I'm not sure which particular Flowmaster they used- I will look at my invoice when I get home (don't think it was on there either though) or just give them a call. Also, if I can figure out how to use my wife's camcorder I'll try to post a video.

:beer: very nice! You might need to jet your carb up one or two sizes now depending how close it was before. With the better flow of your exhaust you might be a little lean. Good luck

Well, you certainly have a nice looking, professional installation.

It really looks good.

Did you use an H-pipe (rather than X-pipe) due to its closer packaging, or because either X of H reduce drone, or "just because"?

Just curious.

Thanks- went on a 80 mile drive today. Definitely feels a little less torquey down low, but stronger through the higher RPMs- but overall its running really great. Before, the engine always felt like it "was getting in its own way." Now you can tell it really breathes easy (even chirped the tires in 2nd gear... that's definitely a first).

As far as the H vs X pipe I just went with what the shop recommended (not sure what the advantages of each are). The most curious thing is the exhaust sounds steady up to 2,500 rpm- but then it seems to surge in tone and volume significantly.

Won a class award at the show tonight ('65-69 Modified)...

Back