chad

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2023
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2019
I guess a Webber carb is what we used to call "side draft"?

* Lookin 4 hood clearance & seein the pic some have posted of Webbers helps me think (I know my garage buddies all say: "Stop that, it only gets U inta trouble Chad.") a large 1V Webber may be the trick for the tq increases I seek.

Is this off base?
Could one deal with the off rd gradients I see?
Which model would be equivalent to the RBS or a 240/300's YF (or was it a YAF or sompin?)?

Thank you.

Weber makes side draft and down draft carbs.
Do they build a single side draft? I've mostly only seen the DCOE type side draft Webers?

I've actually fantasized about running three side draft SU or Z/S carbs on my car. But that has more to so with having owned and been around so many Brit sports cars that multiple single barrel side drafts are what I kind of feel belongs on an inline six.

8) to my knowledge weber only makes two throat and three throat side draft carbs. they do make many varieties of down draft carbs, and they may make a single barrel version, but i havent seen one. if you want a side draft carb in single barrel, check out your local motorcycle wrecking yard. SU and mikuni both make some very good bike carbs that look trick as heck, especially when you run multiple carbs.

Thanks, I appreciate both responses. I remember solex and weber on 60s 4 & 6 cyl. 'sports' cars.

I guess you are correct (weber 2 & 3V side draft carbs only). I was hoping for a 1V for the tq application and hood clearance on the bronk. any info on a 1V weber side draft?

RBS and the 240/300 carbs still seem to be what I seek. new direction abandoned...

8) one thing to remember about weber carbs is that most were designed as a one barrel per cylinder setup. you can get away with one barrel per two cylinders if you size them right. by the way, other carbs to look for include delorto and solex. again in both side and down draft configurations.

:( Hi Chad.Too bad you don`t live close to Melbourne,Fl.There is(or was)an exclent MC salvage yard there.Right on US1 about two blocks from Rathburn Chebby dealer ship.Yeah,that guy.Indy driver.Years ago a fried bought two sets of carbs from two 3 cylinder IIRC Yamaha bikes and put them on an I6 chebby.One per cyl.When he finally got them tuned,that was a screamer.Poped a few eyes at the local car shows.Had them set up one per cylinder.EVERYTHING was polished.Home made mounts for each carb.Aluminum flanges and tubing for the manifolds.YUMMMMMMMMMM.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks Leo,
Yeah, (sounds) looks pisser I bet!
A-carb-per is a beautiful thing to see and drive but I seek tq in a 'work-truck' so; the largest 1V to fit under the hood is my understanding of approach I should take. Don't know what I was thinkin (but to put a side draft on the throat of the I6 log & try'n get low hood clearance/better tq).

I had 1'a those bikes. Each of the Japanese co. made "triples" from 250 up thru 900 cc in late or mid 70s. They were 2 strokes! I had a Kowie 500 (I think it was called an H2). As I got a lill older I had to get rid of it... too much for me!
"...an exclent MC salvage yard..."
Know the name of that yard? "...Melbourne,Fl..." I guess I can get it from the town somehow.
Hey! Melbourne, Fl - aint dat where da guy made the X-Flow 'stang a decade or so ago is located?

:beer: Hi Chad.I don`t know about that fella,BUT laggerhead lives in that area,and he just might know if that place is still in business.AND the location and maybe get you a phone number or a web site to contact them.By the way.There was no problem with hood clearance.They were mounted straight out from the head(90*).
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks X, & Leo.
(X - I went 2 yer link for the 'football exh. manifold' coupla wks ago).

Now, again, I have no auto. theory - but wouldn't 2 (looks like 2V) carbs be an anti-thesis for tq.
Is that not for hp? The 'green pic" & 2nd one show this (pass. & driver's sides) w/the DCOE 45's...
Does seem to have "low hood clearance" issue solved, tho!
I'd use "tubes' 'stead'a the ac housing shown...

chad":3p65m13m said:
Thanks X, & Leo.
(X - I went 2 yer link for the 'football exh. manifold' coupla wks ago).

Now, again, I have no auto. theory - but wouldn't 2 (looks like 2V) carbs be an anti-thesis for tq.
Is that not for hp? The 'green pic" & 2nd one show this (pass. & driver's sides) w/the DCOE 45's...
Does seem to have "low hood clearance" issue solved, tho!
I'd use "tubes' 'stead'a the ac housing shown...

not necessarily. it depends on how quickly the airflow gets going, how fast it gets to, and how quickly the fuel gets flowing. lest start with something easy, take a moderately built V8 engine, lets say a chevy 350. and lets say you have determined through testing that a 750 cfm carb is ideal for the engine. but then you decide to put on an 850cfm carb, it wont hurt the low end torque numbers because there is really little change in airflow quality. but then lets say you put on two 1050 carbs, now you have tripled the airflow, and the quality of the airflow has suffered, and so has low end torque because the air doesnt accelerate like the engine needs it to.

now lets take those webers that were suggested. with these carbs you can change the choke size, aka the primary venturi size, to match what the engine wants, so a 45mm throttle opening can be choked down to say 32mm. if you then take those carbs and put them on a larger engine, you can changes chokes to say 40mm to increase airflow capability. thats one of the beauties of the weber carbs.

you can also change the main jets, emulsion tubes, air corrector jets, idle jets, accelerator pump jets, etc.and all to get the carb to respond to what your engine wants and needs. a well tuned set of webers is a wonderful thing on any engine.

"...a well tuned... is a wonderful thing on any engine..."
I'm really into the "set it and forget it" mode as this is a 'work truck' (reliable, durable, inexpensive also come to mind but that may be another set of issues). I can't tinker (repeatedly) have no $ to pay someone else to do so. As I lurk from the woods and swamp I see some amazing stuff on-site. Brings me back to the days when I had money (interest) and time to devote to street/strip. Now I wanna get the tq & hood clearance for this application, avoiding the above constraints while applying my stated values...

Problem is I don't have much theory. Solution is - what U guys have been helpin me with.
Thanks much...

are 45s too big? would the DOCE pair (god, doesn't need 3 does it?) be the right model (there's so many Webers)?

chad":2yyrasr9 said:
"...a well tuned... is a wonderful thing on any engine..."
I'm really into the "set it and forget it" mode as this is a 'work truck' (reliable, durable, inexpensive also come to mind but that may be another set of issues). I can't tinker (repeatedly) have no $ to pay someone else to do so. As I lurk from the woods and swamp I see some amazing stuff on-site. Brings me back to the days when I had money (interest) and time to devote to street/strip. Now I wanna get the tq & hood clearance for this application, avoiding the above constraints while applying my stated values...

Problem is I don't have much theory. Solution is - what U guys have been helpin me with.
Thanks much...

are 45s too big? would the DOCE pair (god, doesn't need 3 does it?) be the right model (there's so many Webers)?

there again with webers the size of the throttle bore, in this case the 45, doesnt matter. its what choke, primary venturi, size you use, and how you jet the combination. but once they are set you can the forget them until rebuild time.

Thjanks Rich, that's some very important info for me
"...once they are set you can then forget them until rebuild time...."

I got that note on all the pieces/parts (as Frank Perdue would say). Sounds like quite a process for me.
Weber is world wide, has good history - seems that availability would be excellent then?

Price & technology/skill would be next for me (working getting tq numbers up seems like dyno time, the 2 or 3 carbs themselves, trying different parts out, reassembly...). RBS, 1100 or some 240/300 carter YF (still not sure if it's a "YAF") might be w/in my skills. The latter just might be too high...

8) my advice is to get a book on weber carbs, in fact here are three good books that will give you a lot of good information on webers, and weber type carbs;

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburetors ... carburetor

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Dellorto-Ca ... pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburettor ... pd_sim_b_1

start with one book, the first one i listed is the best for a beginner, and go down the list to build your knowledge on these carbs. and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

OK, thanks again.
I guess I could rob the 2 carbs from my '79 Kawie 750...
8^0
I believe the linkage may be the most problematic (some motorcycle, some ford) may be the mount (2 carbs and the pair of 3 'runners' [is that the right word?] each)?
I guess the log needs machining for that (mount?).

I believe also, the Weber more automotive looking than SU, Mukuni, Z/S, etc. I HAVE seen them under a hood (& IIRC in multiples) 40 yrs ago. Solex too (weren't those the flat alu bodies with the top that went up in a thiner (almost) point. May B hada big flat brass screw at the top?

Don't think I have the tools, skills, time, money...
RBS looking better and better...

Wow. Becasue the link may drop off, I've copied these for reference. It may not flow well, but I've used the K&N Filter before, and it works fine for an I6.

Thank you, xctasy, for making this permanent! Do you think the "top hat" portion was added to help offset the volume decrease due to the flattened area just above the carburetor?

Somewhat similar to the (I believe it's ford) oem 1 I have except mine's factory made and w/o the 'extra top' seen in the pic. Also the housing takes the older circular paper/expanded metal air cleaner style. They both go up/over the V/C & have the filter sit down beside the ex/intake.

Wish I could get the pic I have onto this site. I uploaded it from my desk onto snapfish & placed the link here but it didn't work. Just wanna ID it for self/forum.

Back