Best bang for Buck Bolt on's

xrwagon

As the title says, my original 46 year old 67 200 needs some bolt ons, i have a custom ported set of Hi-Tech headers and decent plugs, engine is very healthy looking at the last set of plugs that came out, head has been done up for unleaded but everything is otherwise stock, head was off in 2004/2005, what i want to know is what can i bolt on to give the most gains without pulling the head off for a 2 barrel carb adaptor, remembering future mods will be extensive once i get a suitable head, i am pricing some stuff and the Mallory Dual point is like 400US (i am in Australia) the complete DSII is up in the mid fours from memory and bearing in mind the best bang for buck i want the performance dist and ignition/coil/leads, or should i get a MSD box/coil/leads and use a DSII dizzy, my other option is to change carb by way of the 2-1 adaptor and run a 350 Holley, what power do you get from each option? Thanks guys

I believe that best bang for the buck is going to be a larger 1bbl if there's room to increase for you, followed by the ds2 setup. The dizzy will be best felt after being tuned for your vehicle too.

More advanced, requiring pulling the head would be a cam, run you a couple hundred plus fluids and a new head gasket. I know you don't want to pull the head, but a mild cam is probably going to be the most noticeable difference over what you've got, in my opinion.

interesting info from MPGmustang here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70844&p=545979#p545979

He found:
Autolite 1100- 95rwhp
Carter YF- 115rwhp
Holley 350 w/adapter- 127rwhp
Holley 350 direct mount- 145rwhp
Not sure what other mods his engine has but show the value of more air.
Assuming the A1100 was the small one, my WerbyFord Gonkulator computer roughly agrees with this data.
Of course direct mount involves pulling the head but the others do not.
With headers (and cam but thats a tougher swap) the carb increase should be nice.

The adaptors for a Weber ADM34, or a 350 or 500 2-bbl holley is hard to beat, so is the XF Falcon TFI ignition system and MAP sensor and EECIV.

Headers and good exhast system were always 18%. Carbs more, and ignition,if the base idle timing can be scooted up without total advance going over 34 degrees under load, is the best bet.

Then go for new stock ACL valve seals, 302W or 289W valve springs, Explorer XLT 4.0 valve retainer, and a 274 cam.

Plug the head and take the 1.5" hole out to a 73greenmachine style 2", and with the 4412 500 cfm Holley 2-bbl, there will be enough air for 200 hp, Crosley style.

so most agree in this order,

bolt on’s

1) any increase in carb size via the adaptor on my small log

2)do the ignition and a new dissy

not a bolt on, but remove the head.

if i do remove the head, i will get it milled 60 thou and open it up for the 2 barrel adaptor drilled and tapped, seeing my bottom end appears to be very healthy, doesn’t use oil, plugs are good. Could i cam the car with a Hyd 264/274 and do the miling f the head, match the valve springs and maybe tickle up the ports, i would have exhausted my budget and the improvements made would have to be with stock ignition for now. My budget as i am racing the car this year has to reflect reliability and my almost untouched 46 year old motor story. I am contesting the Eighth Mile Series and will require me driving to 3 different tracks from home.

So how does this sound an adaptor for a 350 Holley and maybe pop on the Classic inline performance dizzy, module. coil and leads, this i can afford.

Maybe hi lift rockers would help. And get the DSII curved for your engine.

has anyone looked at or done a coil system, no dizzy, crank trigger kit? i have been offered this kit, $1200 all up, would like to see a far bit of power, if its say 12hp its 100 bucks per hp

How about converting to an electric water pump and fan? I think I remember seeing something advertised as upwards of 18hp just for the EWP. I would imagine some reasonable gain when getting rid of the parasitic items (water/fuel pump, fan). Only concern would be to have an electrical system that can support all that current draw. I haven't crunched the numbers yet to see what the demand would be but can't imagine it could compare to the speaker box on wheels....

that is sure to work mate, i know when i took the aircon off and all the brackets, well it weighed over 50 pounds but not having to run twin belts around 4 double pulleys made it a much nicer car to drive, you could feel it being easy, some of my Aussie mates are running regraphed xe/xf distributors with msd 6 al with good results, flat 14’s in a old Cortina with a 250 2V engine,

XE dissy is a quick upgrade. You can get them for $20 if you look around. Make sure it isnt an XF as they are computer controlled, even the carb versions.
However... the bottom of the shaft that sits in the bush in the block is smaller than what you have now. Plenty of for and against on this.
Once you know what cam you will run, shoot it down to scorcher in vic. For around $300 they will rebuild, recurve, and fit a sleeve to the shaft.
Way easier than a ds2 from the us.
Then throw a XE Weber on via an adaptor. XF weber has too much pollution b.s.

Assuming you have extractors?

yeah thanks Redxm, i am waiting for ICE to re-open over the new year break, i have Hi Tech extractors which have been ported out and re faced etc, bloke on my six page showed me his set up, he has the XE dissy recurved, msd 6AL and a MSD coil all on a 250 2V with triples, runs fairly hard, just on 200 hp at tyres. I was planning on taking the head off now, mill it and do the 2V conversion for now, depending on how much cash is left over port the head and bigger valves, my engine builder is 60 bucks per port but does a stellar job, my original budget was about 1000 bucks all up, and i know the machine guys and my friend does all the brazing around here.

A member on here the same guy has done the distributorless ignition with trigger wheel, Explorer coils, box like a Megasquirt I think and all the associated parts. He has a good write up with many pictures and has a source for the trigger wheel. He brought it in for under six hundred I seem to recall and apparently very smooth running with good power.

The XF ignition and EECIV control unit were responsible for a 5 kw gain in power in New Zealand market 4.1 Falcons, 103 kw verses 97.5 kw. EDIS would be neck and neck. A scrapped unleaded XF supplies the bits at a bargin basement price.

The XF CARB ULP ignition is means tested, and its hated, so you can pick it up cheap. EDIS requires a certain kind of 4.0 or 3.0 US EECIV module to eliminate the cost of a Meqasquirt controller...its not standalone. Is it worth it? No, not at that price. The TFI is becasue its the most missunderstood Ford ignItion. The whole reason it existed is becaUse of cost reduction over any version of the US or Austrakian Durapark, and being fully digital. Once that TFI module is relocated, its hard a hard act to follow something that just runs of a MAP and knock sensor. Its as signicant as the old ELB Hemi system , but a whole lot more reliable.

thanks Xctasy, many good answers coming in, i suppose me like many want to go faster, cheaper, apparently the XE dizzy is favoured over the XF because of the factory computer. I have 35 days to do all this before my first race meeting for the year.

Look, I swapped a 1963 casting 170 head onto my 1981 Mustang 3.3 with a 30 buck APPCO gasket, and now I am putting a 1972 3.3 Falcon XA engine in my Mustang. Any Ford part to anything, if your stupid....or smart!

There isn't an easier engine to do bolt ups on. Some Devco/ JB Weld, and a grinder, and you can direct mount a Rochester 2 jet or 500 cfm Holley and go right to 150 to 200 hp with the right cam. parkwood60 search.php?author_id=91680&sr=posts

and Crosley are the men.

Parkwood60LeMonz2-bbl33racerTop.jpg

Parkwood60LeMonz2-bbl33racerBottom.jpg

Look at his simple adaptor. This is grass routes. Take the head off, and bolt up more power.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... ont-Futura

imgp1798.jpg

http://piledriverz.com/2012/06/25/pre-r ... at-630-71/

lovely mate, just bloody lovely, simple but effective mods will see me through for a while, until i get used to the power lol

Did you get a chance to look at those dizzys from GT10GT ebay? If nothing else, I pulled the twin-point, recurved, mech advance 1 off mine to install the elecronic 1 I got from them, ya welcome to try it.

no not yet, need to wait until almost mid January to speak with some guys, i will give them a look.

i’ve decided to do the 2V conversion on my log head, so head comes off as soon as i can order the parts, tried 3 times now to order off Classic Inline store and get a stupid error message coming up at payment screen, very frustrating, does anyone else sell the adaptor from 1V-2V, this is the milled log centre adaptor, not just a carb adaptor, i was hoping to have all this done in time for a race meeting start of season in early February, if i cant order the parts, the postage will be further delayed and by the time i get the parts, i will be struggling to get it all done. I have rang Classic as well and left him a message, remember i am in Australia.

Back