loud inconsistent knock

I was driving my car to work today when i noticed that my engine would make a very loud knocking sound when i was starting it as the day went on i was on my way home from work when my engine started knocking very bad however the oil pressure was stable at 45 psi vac was normal and stable, idle was stable at 700 in gear, no excessive smoke was coming out of the valve cover breather or out of the tail pipe, it go's away on acceleration but as soon as it hits idle it starts knocking again very very loudly, it sounds like its coming from the fuel pump area, it sounds like as if there was a mar ball in one of the cylinders. i will be removing the spark plugs to make sure i just didn't detonate one of them. im trying to upload a video but it is taking forever to load.

it sounds like its coming from either the timing chain or the fuel pump, its very loud, it sounds kinda like a bad lifter but my rpm, vac and sound from the exhaust sound very steady as they normally would, im going to make sure nothing is in any of the cylinders tomorrow.

A bad fuel pump (wear at the lever pivot pin) can make quite a loud knocking sound as the RPM raises, so you might check that out too. Good.luck :nod:

simplest to start, remove the fuel pump and take a look before something stops knocking and starts a rockin' ... . If the timing chain/gears stretched or rubbing, you will soon see see shiny flakes in oil and find out soon enough ...

have fun

Acoording to Classic Inlines end @ 75-85 Ft-lbs, get there in three steps starting with 60 then 70 on the next pattern ect.

has anyone else had their flywheel come loose, im concerned with the fact that i was able to partially rotate the flywheel back and forth after i took the inspection plate off. i drove the car for a few miles like that keeping pressure on it by opening the throttle while breaking to prevent the knock. i will be pulling the transmission this weekend to check it out. i hope i did not elongate the flywheel mounting holes or damage the crank :devilish:

Could be a broken flexplate and not loose, the small six flexplates have tendency to crack and break like this.

it didnt look like it was broken when i looked behind the inspection plate, the car still drives fine its just very noisy, i haven't driven it since it started making the noise to avoid damage

Back