Brought a DU1

xrwagon

At our big local swap meet today i met two different guys with products from the Classic Inlines site, the first guy had some 2V heads for sale and a DUI dissy and livewire set, he brought it mail order off the site, i now need to hook it all up and wondered how to, i looked at the tech article's could only find the prem dizzy gear article for DU1, so i dont know if my stock type coil is of use or useless or just replace and to the hook up to the coil. What do you lube the gear with may also help, i was so happy to finally find something i can use on my 200 locally, bloke i got it from had less than 50 k’s on it, so i paid over half price. The second guy had a nice 67 XR sedan, he has a 2V headed 221 with the DU1 and several parts from the site here on his also, looked great. So there you have it, in Toowoomba Queensland Australia, we have classic inline stuff.

300 for a bare one that had been repaired and 800 for a reco head with alloy manifold, chrome tappet cover, complete with valve gear etc. A complete ready to go fresh worked 2V250 sold for 1000 bucks before i had a chance to buy it. I found some tech stuff, just had a to look a bit harder

Ok so the dizzy is going in this week before i race on the 8th, i am re weighing the car on Friday, i will be posting up my times and working out the increase in power the dizzy and leads will give my 200, i know some throw figures around but the only real way is the track. I have my previous time slips from the last tow meetings, some weight has come out of the car so it will be re weighed, the only mod to the motor between rounds will be the dizzy and livewires. should be interesting comparison as my motor is still a 46 year old motor with a custom exhaust, so only bolt ons for now. Next step is doing the 1-2V conversion for direct mount, while the head is off it will get skimmed a large hyd cam 240@50, new lifters and double roller timing and the 350 holley and thats it. No other headwork will be done for now while i skimp and save so dosh.

xrwagon":1p2rs20o said:
i now need to hook it all up and wondered how to, i looked at the tech article's could only find the prem dizzy gear article for DU1, so i dont know if my stock type coil is of use or useless or just replace and to the hook up to the coil. What do you lube the gear with may also help...

Hi xrwagon, to me this is the most straight forward way to install the DUI. Basically using the old coil wire for a trigger on a relay and powering the DUI straight off the battery since it needs a full 12v...
relay15a.jpg

No need for the oil coil when using the DUI, since it is basically an HEI (coil in cap with module, fully self contained, one wire ignition).

You can then leave the old coil in place and switch the coil lead back over to the old dizzy if you're swapping between runs for comparison.

Engine lube should be fine for the dizzy gear, but you might want to consider getting one of Bill's (wsa111) hardened dizzy gears, or seeing if someone down under could 'parkerize' or similarly treat yours. Sounds like a nice score of parts, good luck on your runs (y)

thanks for the reply mate, my mechanic is going to set mine up, seeing i only have the standard cam i wont do the gear, but down the track when i do the hyd cam i may as well change it, i was thinking about it last night running the wire from battery straight to the dissy, i upgraded the battery Dec last year as there was no way it was going to supply the required voltage as it was knackered. I did find the diagram and thanks for your info, the 20 hp gain to me sounds generous, on mine i have a old coil, could be the original and old crap leads, dissy when we timed it last had no vacuum at all, had excessive play and that was after i replaced the points, rotor, etc a few months prior, i didnt even set a points gap, so i could get a decent gain over my old worn stuff, either way being the finicky bastard i am i will document the whole thing, my fave saying is you dont' race a dyno, so with the weight of the car in hand and some times i will be able to see a rwhp increase

Good score. Be sure to post some pics when done.

Maybe consider swapping the dizzy gear from the old points one?

Can you run a set of verniers over the bottom of the DUI, to compare to the standard?

i’ll see if i can, my mechanic mate should have a set, not sure on the gear on my original 46 year old dizzy, we will inspect once it’s out. Are the gears on these new dizzys that bad they need changing straight away? I wasn’t keen on changing until i do a camshaft, as i would rather wear out a gear than a camshaft as thats what there designed to do. I have installed quite a few cams and done break ins of large V8 cams, never wiped a lobe, however i had to walk a way from a guy who had a clevo stroker, he did nothing right during bed in, almost cooked it. My main experience is with Holden sixes when it comes to cam shafts. Back in my youth it was Holden until i saw the light.

Didn’t get a chance to measure anything Redxm, its all up and running, only problem was when it started up it wouldn’t switch off, somewhere in the cars past before i brought it the generator was converted to alternator with reg, the old reg is still on the rad support panel and had a big wide plug taped up, when i had the battery installed and new leads made up etc i did ask the guy and he wasn’t sure what someone had done, when untaped it turns out two of the four terminals were being used or cancelling each other out, after almost a hour of trying to find the residual voltage, my mech pulled these wires out and its all fine now, i put the car back to race mode and went for a blap blap. When i first got this car it did 55 kph in second gear, after the exhaust went on it was 70 kph in same gear and a lot nicer to drive, did the timing and tuned it a bit, dropped the pipe and it was 80 kph in second gear when i raced it last, well tonight it was 95 in second or at least thats when i changed gears, its more responsive and just putting around its a nicer car to drive now, the old dissy was sharted, the coil is dated 1967, the only bits i had done was points and a mismatched rotor. Weighing the car on Thursady so when i race on Saturday i can compute what power she has now, last time i did this i had 72 rwhp, elapsed time and weight corrected Clydesdales.

Car went quicker, my new RWHP figure is 79.02, it was 72, only change is the new dissy, spark plugs didnt look to crash hot when i gapped them the other day, i gapped at 50 as instructions say, but a friend of mine reckons 36, car also spat the oil sender unit and sprung a leak i quickly found, nice long threaded bolt thanks to a pit neighbour and some help on the tools from Mark and we were good to go. Did 4 qualifiers and went the 3 rounds, for two wins and one cherry, i was a cherry virgin and they gave me a lolly pop for my efforts, it was a 0.008 cherry, i also did a nice 0.078 reaction. Best time was 12.131 at 55.42, worst was 12.373, 2.542 was my quickest 60 foot. Best dial in was a 12.210 on a 12.13 dial in. Need to go shopping now, radiator cap, a clamp and a new sender. So for now the DUI for me equates to less than 10 RWHP, however when i next run, i will have new plugs and a new plug gap, i think i was down slightly with the fouled plugs, check them today. So far this dissy mod has cost me $52 per horsepower. My previous PB was 12.54 at 53. I also have 80KG or 176 pounds less in the car. Does this sound like a fair gain, good or bad on the DUI conversion?

does anyone agree that 0.050-0.055 is to much plug gap? apparently MSD units you can run 0.040 so i cant see how fifty and above would work, i am doing 0.036 on my new plugs.

xrwagon":1pm2gq3v said:
does anyone agree that 0.050-0.055 is to much plug gap? apparently MSD units you can run 0.040 so i cant see how fifty and above would work, i am doing 0.036 on my new plugs.
Do not agree...I have the DUI and run .052 gap.

As Ive said before , NO Power improvement above .036 , Worked on Combo's that make more at Idle than 99% on here , been there , also what is the curve in that dist 24@3000?

yeah mate thats the curve, i tried the 0.050, my drag mate said well if a MSD 7 does not need a gap over 0.040 how do you justify a gap over 0.050 on a DUI? I said i dunno, now go to 18V and 0.70, he said dont bother, would you do that Gene, run the other little box? My other problem could be the stuffed plugs so have new ones on hand, and will check what running the new system has done to these old plugs since i gapped them.

No, I wouldn't bother with the other box. FYI, my DUI is out of the box and seems to perform fine but I really have no point of reference. Would I benefit from a recurve? Am I leaving power on the table?

The so called custom curve ( 24@3000 ) is Generic , the Falcon 6's like LOTS of initial , and not so much total , without knowing your timing settings I cant say for sure , BUT , I do know that if you street drive it , it can be improved on a great deal

my last timing was 30 initial with the old dissy, that dissy was in dire need of a rebuild, i still has a 1967 coil in the car, so the power gains were not as great as i had hoped, considering i was running with 85 kg’s less in the car.

Back