lifter or cam is messed up

i was on the freeway the other day doing about 3500rpm, when i exited i noticed that the engine had a rough idle, ticking noise, and the exhaust sounded strange. i took off the rocker cover, started the engine and saw that one of the rockers next to the fuel pump was hardly moving, i adjusted it a little and the idle got a little better but its still not moving much compared to the others. i think its time to buy a new cam and lifters. :unsure:

IIWIYS...
push rod bent? compared to others
lifter scored? compare to others
rocker shaft scored? compare to other spots
rocker bent/cracked? inspection

that's what I would do, but if all checks good, i would just replace lifter for a test. but if scored or dmg'd, cam+lifters

if the new lifter test doesn't fix problem, cam is bad.
if new lifter does fix problem, it's possible it's a bandaid, it'll work till ???? or it really fixed it.

then if ANY other lifter fails after installing the new lifter then yes, I would do cam and lifters.

post findings!! and pics

Do it the easy way.
1. Remove rocker arm shaft. Rotate crankshaft & measure pushrod movement on the bad cylinder & compare it to one other camshaft lobe. This removes the valve spring from the equation.
This will see if you have a collapsed lifter or a wiped camshaft.
A wiped camshaft will wear the contact area of a lifter & cause it to collapse.
Time to call Mike if you need camshaft & lifters. Good luck.

i think ill just replace the cam maybe a solid lifter cam, my cam was an ok cam but i didnt know what cam it was and it would fall on its face after hitting 50mph. I dont know a bunch about picking a cam so ill tell you all what im looking for and maybe you all can help.

I have a tri- weber 34 ict progressive setup.

3.55 rear gears 15" rim, tall tires

select shift, H-servo, B&M shift kit : C4 trans

my thoughts are that the 6 is already fast off the line, id like a little more pull in 2nd gear

with the old cam, it would go 0-50 very quick then fall on its face

i forgot to mention that my oil pressure went down a little after the lifter problem, its at 30-35psi at idle now, it was at 40-50 before using 10w40 oil

Back