weird fault

Fylfot 66

I wondered if anyone out there had any ideas about a really weird problem i have with the running of my manual 6. When i turn into a fast right hand bend the engine misses real bad, the car actually kinda kangaroo's. The only thoughts i've had is maybe, oil in the coil moving to one side causing the internal windings to breakdown? i don't think left hand bends are a problem but it's hard to test as all roundabouts are taken to the right. Also wondering if anyone has removed the stock alternator and voltage reg to replace them with a modern combined alternator? Cheers David.

i suspect a carb issue. either the float is set too low, or it needs a rebuild because it is flooding.

Yup, sounds like a carb issue to me too, most likely the float is too low from my experience...

Thanks for your replies, i have rebuilt the carb, but it was doing it before i rebuilt it aswell as after. I set the float height to 9/16" as it said in the instructions (carter rbs 1v) but i have to admit, i wasn't sure if i installed it correctly, as the needle valve had a recess which the float tang could sit in, but i just butted the tang up against the end off the needle valve as it had a curve to it and seemed like it would work better that way, is that wrong?

I've never rebuilt an RBS carb, just the FoMoCo 1940 plus some Dual-Jets and Q-jets on my other project cars. Carbs can be very sensitive to float height, so I'd recommend to go back in and adjust it upwards a slight amount. Take it for a test drive after making sure it is too high just idling. I'm assuming there is a vent and if the float is too high you'll see gas come out the vent.

Cheers, i'll whip it off again tonight and have a mess around with it. I forgot to say, when i try to start it from cold the choke (manual) doesn't seem to do anything, it only starts if you don't touch anything, then it starts really weakly, barely running, but if you touch the throttle it konks out and if you apply the choke it konks out, so i have to sit there for 10 mins till it's warmed up, then it revs up nice. It always smells of petrol but the plugs are all a good colour, not black in the slightest?

Fylfot 66":239bg1cl said:
Cheers, i'll whip it off again tonight and have a mess around with it. I forgot to say, when i try to start it from cold the choke (manual) doesn't seem to do anything, it only starts if you don't touch anything, then it starts really weakly, barely running, but if you touch the throttle it konks out and if you apply the choke it konks out, so i have to sit there for 10 mins till it's warmed up, then it revs up nice. It always smells of petrol but the plugs are all a good colour, not black in the slightest?

it sounds like there is flooding going on. make sure you dont have any internal fuel leaks because you used the wrong gasket somewhere, that is common since the kit makers have reduced the number of kits they stock by including gaskets from as many upgrades for each carb as possible. also make sure the needle valve is seating properly, and doesnt leak.

Back