Quick question on bellhousings

JAGGUY

I know I saw the answer somewhere on here but my searching has failed me..

I have a 66 200 with a C4. I need to replace the engine due to a cracked block.
Been looking for an engine for a while. May have found an engine from a 65 Mustang.
I remember seeing that the engines are different between 65 and 66 & later in reference to the bellhousing bolts.

Will my 66 bellhousing bolt up to a 65 engine?

Thanks for your time...

It depends, do you need the larger pattern or the smaller pattern? All C6 and on blocks have the dual pattern on the block afaik. You're actually better off to find a '69 or later 200 b/c it will come with a better head, 77'-79' being the best.

Your 1966 bell may bolt up to the 65 block, do you know if you have a 8.5 or 9 inch clutch? If it's the early 1964 to mid 1965 200 block then the 8.5 inch clutch / flywheel / four bolt bell is the only one that fits, C4DE-6015 or C5DE-6015- H block number. Good luck :nod:

:unsure: If they both have a C4 on them, then you will all ready have everything to make it work! If your bell doesn't happen to fit then you would only need to use the other bell. It's easy to unbolt the bell from a C4 case (bolts are next to the front pump) swap bells and bolt back together. Good luck :nod:

the C4 uses the small bell housing pattern, so any high mount starter block will work just fine.

rbohm":39sxmyrj said:
the C4 uses the small bell housing pattern, so any high mount starter block will work just fine.

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the help.

earlier 200 blocks would be more likely to have been rebuilt so keep that in mind
66 and later blocks have the dual mounting pattern
find a 200 out of a later model 70's Maverick, Comet, Granada, Zephyr Monarch or Fairmont
they will have the larger valves, log,etc and will be more likely to be virgin
do not go past .040 on the bore as these blocks are notorious for overheating

Back