65 200/C4

bmcgc1960

Supporter 2020
1965 Mustang 200/C4

Ive owned this car for over a year and made some posts on work that I needed to do. The past 1.5 years I had some health issues that sidelined me, but Im up to speed now and ready to get going. In the meantime I bought a second 65 Mustang 289/C4, Borgenson ps, disc brakes, a nice DD for the misses.

My 200 has good compression on all cylinders, but 5 of 6 plugs are oil soaked. I suspect bad valve seals. The tranny shifts and runs fine but leaks like crazy.

My carb is a Holley 1940 w/o a spark control valve, I had the LOM dizzy, so the car runs like crap. Im in the middle of installing a 68 dizzy to correct that problem.

I bought a 200/C4 with a weber 2V and a set of long tube headers out of a 68 that was getting a 302 transplant. The shop doing the work says the engine and tranny are in excellent condition. I paid $300 for everything, the only item missing is the dizzy.

Todays questions:

1. Do I replace the valve seals on my current engine and hope all is well or do I swap out engines and hope the replacement is in better condition?

2. I have a set of 144 exhaust valves, do I pull the head off my current engine and have it reconditioned? Its a C9DE casting.

3. Any idea which carb this is?

carb2_zps77267c9c.jpg

68eng_zpse148cb5b.jpg

You can replace the valve seals without removing the head with the right tools. it is a pretty simple job to R&R the head though while in the chassis however and the head could be inspected more closely for wear or damage etc.

Your carb is a weber 32/36 that has the progressive secondary linkage. It is a terrific carburetor for our old junk. And it sounds like you scored pretty well for what you paid. :beer:

This evening Im going to work on getting the dizzy finished, Im one tooth off so I will need to pull it again.

I may swap carbs, it looks like my linkage will connect to the Weber as is.

I have the fitting and compressor to pressurize the cylinders for the valve stem replacement. I will rent the spring compressor from AZ and give it a go. Ive never done that before, but how hard can it be?

Good deal. I got basically the same deal from a 66, but the distributor was shot and the carb was a one barrel replacement. I want to swap to the same carb, just need to rebuild it.

I think Im going to swap the entire engine in but keep my Holley 1940 on it.

The misses wants me to sell this car and concentrate on the 289 car.

I have collected all the bits for a nice 200 build, so I will keep the other block and find a round Ranchero or Falcon to drop it into with a T5.

So far I have a D0 head, Weber, headers, 1.468 exhaust valves, 1.75 intake valves, 302 springs, 4.0 retainers, and a bunch of odds and ends chrome bits.

Back