DSII Wiring issue on '65 mustang

It's either timing or fuel at this point. You say you already did the tdc check, but did you follow the advise to use your finger in the #1 hole to make sure your on the compression stroke. If you thought you were 180 out but you were way off, going 180 on the wires won't help and I like to keep the plug wires where they are marked on the cap for simplicity's sake. Your balancer could have slipped and be nowhere near the timing marks at tdc for all you know. I always start by doing the finger thing rotating the motor by hand. Once I know I'm on the compression stroke and right around tdc I make a mark on the rim where #1 is on the cap and stab it so it lines up with the rotor. Works every time. If it won't fire immediately, rotate the dist a bit at a time until it does or the other way if that doesn't work. And don't flood it in the process.

Finally got back to diagnosing this. Last weekend we took the kids camping. By the time we get done putting the kids to bed at night during the week it's too dark out to see anything. I don't have electricity run out to the shed yet. I'm toying with the idea but I don't much like the idea of what it will do to the tax bill. :devilish:

Replaced all the wiring that came with the setup. Some of it looked like it had seen better days. Everything has been Ohmed out and voltages checked at the coil with the key in run position and in start position.

TDC: I did the test by pulling the first spark plug out and rotating the crankshaft by hand. It matches were I think it should be. I hadn't checked the timing mark. I just went and found that (just came in for a bit of chalk so I can make that sucker light up). I had to clean all the built up gunk off the timing marks. :p The marks match up with what the rotor is saying for TDC. I just wish I had checked the position before I pulled the loadomatic. If the balancer has such a propensity to slip after all those years maybe we should add that to the sticky (if we have one) or get it added to the DSII writeup on the Classic Inlines site? Assuming I've got TDC about right how close does the timing have to be to get the engine to start?

I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel. I didn't muck with the fuel system before I pulled the loadomatic. The car *WAS* running before I started the DSII swap. Short of that, I smell gas after trying got start it.

So I think my next steps are going to be:

* re-verify TDC by pulling the plug and spinning the crankshaft around. Who knows, I could have got it wrong the first time
* re-verify I'm getting spark at the coil, then at cylinder 1. I did re-do the wiring. It's usually the stuff you assume is working that is what is actually biting you....

If I'm still not getting anywhere I'll go ahead and spin the distributor 180 and see what I get.

Remember there are 2 TDC positions.

1 ONE with both valves closed (the one you want)

2 And Another where the valves almost closed (NOT the one you want)
This one is also known as overlap TDC both valve may be closed or
part way open depending on how much cam you have.

with Both the marks on the Dampener will line up.

Yeah, I double checked. I hear a definite whooshing sound coming out of the spark plug hole on the stroke I've been guessing is TDC. I don't hear anything on the other stroke.

Minor issue just happened, and just had a thought about my troubles. "Minor" issue: sparks just flew from the relay, specifically from the mounting point for the wire going to the starter. Subsequent tries to turn it over result in a click or more sparks. I think it tried to turn over once more. Has my relay gone bad or is my starter fubar and drawing too much current? Hoping it's the starter.

As for the thought: I was following the instructions on the CI site for swapping in the DSII. It recommended re-gapping the plugs to .045. I followed the instruction. I'm thinking of re-gapping to .035 for now to see if that is the issue.

One thing I have not seen mentioned. Plug wires on the I6 count clockwise on the distributor cap, not counter clockwise like a V8.

Explorer":28ry6gy2 said:
One thing I have not seen mentioned. Plug wires on the I6 count clockwise on the distributor cap, not counter clockwise like a V8.

good point, some of us take that for granted.

Ugh! Almost 2 months before I was able to get back to this. I need to put lights in the shed/garage so I can work at night after the kids are finally asleep. :banghead: Overly anxious kid == lost evenings. :p

Anyways, took another look this morning. I went and checked the voltage on all the wiring (again). Still looked fine. Then had the epiphany - maybe I just don't have any gas in the carb. I sprayed a little carb cleaner and poured the dribbles I had left over from filling the lawn tractor and turned it over. Started right up, ran rough for < 1 second, then stopped.

So, I have a timing issue now (rough running) - but I can figure that out. And I need to figure out why I'm not getting gas. Car sometimes has the odd behavior of not wanting to start after having sit for some period of time unless I feed it more gas. I'm off to the gas station in hopes that that is all it is and not something more expensive.

Hopefully I'll have it back on the road before the end of the driving season after all.

Car runs. I put a bit more gas in the carb and it finally stayed running. I think in the end early on I had wiring issues - I had smelled the carb flooding for awhile. I haven't tuned the timing yet beyond setting initial to where engine sounds best at idle. Other than that all I have left to do is run the new wire from the ignition switch through the firewall (I currently have it running out the window. I didn't want to tackle it until I had the engine running.

Talk about long summer projects. At least I've gained some experience in the motor.

Thanks for all the advice on the way guys.

Back