Cometic HG for 250

mike1157

I read a press release that stated that C.I was going to be offering a MLS HG made by Cometic for these engines. Can anyone tell me if they are available yet.

Still dealing w/ a HG availability source for my engine. I have a SCE copper HG w/ an integral wire sealing ring built-in, but it's still copper. ( And from what I've read/understand,it doesn't matter what, or how you coat it with, it's only a matter of time until it leaks)
The Crossflow stocker I have as a template is currently at Lubbock Gasket in TX, but the only thing they have to offer is a stock replacement, w/ either an inconel crimped on fire ring (rated at 250 p.s.i, or the same gasket, w/ 6 separate drop-in copper fire rings, supposedly rated at 350 p.s.i.)

It's my understanding that a turbocharged engine making 16-18 p.s.i of boost is gonna make waaay north of 350 p.s.i. cylinder pressure.
I ask because I contacted Cometic on my own over a month ago, and at that time, they stated that they didn't have the ability to build an MLS gasket for me at that time. Now that they may have the tooling in place for the stock replacement US 250,...I'm wondering if that may have changed.

That brand new copper SCE gasket probably will never get taken outta the box cost me about 275.00. On one hand, I say to myself, just buy the lubbock stocker w/ the copper ring and pray. On the other, I'm thinking how much will it cost me to not have to worry about it?

8551-1343936803-fcc644e8a0a31e36e9aee48418778393_zps9f231be8.gif

"What tha?..... Head gasket ya say?.... Well I've never needed more than the Ford steel shim gasket that came from the factory back in 19 and 62.

If it's good enough for Ford,..it's good enough for me."

I wish I could give you the answers you are searchng for but, I can't. How is a US MSL gasket going to help your hybrid crossflow? I hear they leak also and guys take the rivets out and use spray copper between the layers. Being that you already have the copper gasket, I've heard guys have good luck by giving it 2 coats of copper spray, letting each coat dry. Some use Right Stuff around the oil and water passages. Your other option of the stock lubbock gasket with the copper rings sounds like another good idea. I posted before about contacting Cometics engineers. They offer a MSL gasket for the turbo barra engine which may be fairly close to your crossflow but it needed to be opened up from the smaller Aussie bore but they said it would work. Frankly, I'd run a stock gasket until you get your tune sorted out. It'll act as a fuse. Here in the U.S. nobody is doing what you're doing with a crossflow. Do the Aussie guys have any suggestions? I know they've turbo charged that head before. Just give it your best shot and work with it.

"...Do the Aussie guys have any suggestions?..."
also the appropriate alternate forums on this site

I saw that there is an MLS gasket offered in Australia.(thanks ausxb) I've also found gaskets-to-go,...an online Chinese mfg that has the pattern, and will make it to my spec (blocking the holes that I don't need, opening the ones I do).
I've also found a domestic guy that claims he can make me a composite gasket capable of dealing w/ the cylinder pressure I will have.

All of these options will cost around 500.00,w/shipping.

For a freaking head gasket.

I called Cometic, and he confirmed that they have patterns for a 4.0 Falcon, and for the Barra engine. I didn't think either were even close. IDK.
The reason for the inquiry about Cometic making the US gasket was in hopes of them being more capable of making me mine. (but they don't do anything custom)

If 500.00 is the price, then I guess that that is what it'll have to be. I'm just callusing myself so I can choke down that price by checking out all available options

Not sure what the issue is people are having with copper head gaskets, but i've used them for close to 30 years on all kinds of race engines from ultra high compression Comp Eliminator 6 cylinders to very high boosted nitrous and turbo Outlaw 10.5 cars, and have never had one single problem or issue ever. I've reused them over and over again countless times and consider anything other than a copper head gasket a band-aid. I have personally designed and had SCE make dozens of them for many specialty inlines including intake and exhaust combos and just don't know what people could be doing wrong to have these problems. Never the first leak, drip, seep or blown head gasket ever, and i've built many dozens of high HP engines that if they were going to have a head gasket problem, you'd know it. Just don't know what could be the problem. The last Slant 6 head gasket they did for me a few months back was only $120.00.

CNC-Dude":1622jnzz said:
Not sure what the issue is people are having with copper head gaskets, but i've used them for close to 30 years on all kinds of race engines from ultra high compression Comp Eliminator 6 cylinders to very high boosted nitrous and turbo Outlaw 10.5 cars, and have never had one single problem or issue ever. I've reused them over and over again countless times and consider anything other than a copper head gasket a band-aid. I have personally designed and had SCE make dozens of them for many specialty inlines including intake and exhaust combos and just don't know what people could be doing wrong to have these problems. Never the first leak, drip, seep or blown head gasket ever, and i've built many dozens of high HP engines that if they were going to have a head gasket problem, you'd know it. Just don't know what could be the problem. The last Slant 6 head gasket they did for me a few months back was only $120.00.

I'm going to use it. I just got off the phone w/ Caleb at SCE (looking to put my mind at ease), and he stood by his recommendation. I'm gonna use Yamabond around the water ports, and follow his recommended of waiting till I am ready to start the engine, fill it w/ water at that time, then after the run-in, drain the water, and let it cool completely overnight, dry. Then the next day, come back and retorque the head studs one at a time, and finish by refilling the engine w/ water. Ck for leaks, if none, drain half out, and add back straight antifreeze and be done.

Caleb is a great guy to work with. That's just my experience with copper gaskets....as i'm knocking on wood!LOL

Back