To have a Alternator or Generator, that is the question.

RancheroBoy

I'm finally starting to build my engine. I have a parts car that has a bunch of different new parts, which one is a new generator. But my question is, is it better for me to run the original generator, or buy a new alternator. I just need to know which one would be better for efficiency, because it's a daily driver.

If your plan is to keep the Ranchero near stock including the electrical system then a Generator will be fine. Otherwise an Alternator has more capacity and higher output. Good luck :nod:

there is a reason ford and other automakers switched to alternators. they are flat out better.

RancheroBoy":3mwksmxu said:
... or buy a new alternator...

.... which one would be better for efficiency...

Depends upon what you call "efficiency". :unsure:

Since you already own the generator, compare the cost of a new alternator. How long will it take to pay that back (Return On Investment, ROI)?

Alternators are indeed more efficient at converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. You will never be able to quantify that from your gas mileage though :mrgreen:

I'm too much of a tightwad to spend the money for an "upgrade" that I will never be able to see. Most folks are not quite so stingy. :p
Joe

Go to your local pull and save, pick up a Delco 10 or 12SI. Get a rebuild kit. If it cost's more than fitty bucks you spent too much.

Even though the alternator is a definite imp efficiency wise-especially at low engine speeds, your going to need different brackets and belt etc. So--let the gen chug along wile you accumulate every thing necessary economically-then change at your convenience :)
My way

I think I am going to replace the generator with an alternator, a Valucraft, $30.00 with everything, mounting and pulleys. Thanks for the input!

have them test it at the store - some are junk from the beginning, B4 takin it home...
(least ways WE have some @ this national 'big box store'). Find out if it needs an
"external regulator" or if there's one in it...

I assume you know what you are doing with the generator, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I learned the hard way about the necessity of polarizing a generator before starting it the first time.

Plus, you need to mount a generator AND a voltage regulator at the same time, like a set. Both, not one or the other. If you don't, you will be replacing one or the other every couple weeks. After I finally got the 411, I installed both at the same time and polarized the VR, I had no more problems.

Alternator is pretty much plug n' play. And you can run more stuff off of it - radio, electric fan, all kinds of goodies.

RancheroBoy":3glwg9sh said:
has a bunch of different new parts, which one is a new generator. , is it better for me to run the original generator, or buy a new alternator.

I just need to know which one would be better for efficiency, because it's a daily driver.
... if you have the generator and VR/wiring already in the car, the efficient thing is to use it until / IF it fails. The generator/VR in my daily driver 63 wagon with swapped '71 170 hasn't hiccupped' in 10 years and does have Halogen headlamps but no other "modern" electrical loads.

for efficiency, AC alternators beats generator in long run because no carbon brushes to wear out - just the bearings .

> after driving the junkyard rescued '63 wagon , it developed a serious vibration at speed. Slowly I realized unhooking fan belt fixed vibration - the generator's armature shaft into bushing endplate had gotten rusty sitting in the junkyard in one position only on one side (bottom?) and ground itself egg shaped resulting in the weird vibration.

.. tried the Alternator from the 170 donor Maverick, found the bearings sounded like a coffee grinder so used a generator from rescued '61 Comet and still charging @ 10 years later. ...

rewiring and rebracketing for Alt / Electronic VR is a minor PITA , "polarizing" the VR/Gen circuit is pure alchemy 8) ...

have fun

have fun

powerband":qhvy1u94 said:
RancheroBoy":qhvy1u94 said:
, "polarizing"

polarizing the VR/Gen circuit is pure alchemy 8) ...

have fun
have fun

BUT someone here posted the procedure... think there's a "sticky" on it saved? any 1 have the url?
(usin what U got till replacing w/da 3G gets my vote too).

You just brush the positive to positive of the ALT to the VR or something. You can use a very small gauge wire too, so there is not a bolt of current. It just needs to know what's up and what's down (i.e. + -).

This from a different how-to site:

After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "B" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "D" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark. Under no circumstances touch the "F" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

ludwig":1m1d42vv said:
You just brush the positive to positive of the ALT to the VR or something. You can use a very small gauge wire too, so there is not a bolt of current. It just needs to know what's up and what's down (i.e. + -).

This from a different how-to site:

After the installation of a battery, generator or voltage regulator follow these procedures. The terminals on the voltage regulator are labeled with letters and this is where you will do the polarizing procedure. Both of the components will have battery power so do not start the vehicle or turn on the ignition switch before polarizing them. You will need a small piece of wire fourteen or sixteen gauge with alligator clips on the ends. Find the "B" terminal on the regulator and attach one of the alligator clips, find the "D" terminal and touch the terminal with the other alligator clip. You can touch the terminals a few times and it will produce a soft light spark. Under no circumstances touch the "F" terminal or any other part of the regulator or you could damage the regulator.

just remember that the polarizing procedure is only done with the GENERATOR, not the alternator.

Since you are just starting your engine build you have time to locate inexpensive brackets and other parts including a pre owned 3G alt from picnpul or other sources. If you are going to have an upgraded ignition like DSII with high output coil, sound system amp and headlight upgrade it is probably worthwhile.

Stock amperage for the 6 cylinder alternators without A/C was around 42 amps initially
Go with a much higher rating especially if you have A/C and electronic stuff

I never buy from the box stores but rather have the core rebuilt at a reputable shop
I take all of my cores to GenStar in Glendale, Az
That have been there since dirt!!!

Alternator all the way. The 60A Ford 1g' s are in stock in about every parts store in the country so if you have trouble on the road you should be covered.

Back