Autolite 1100 Carb Top Warped

candyapple66

Hello-
One thing that I need to fix is the front part of the lid of my autolite 1100 carburetor does not fit flush at the leading edge. I believe the top has warped so it wont sit flush against the new gasket I put in and as a result gas spews out from that spot. The old gasket had swelled to fill in this gap but it is about a 4 mm gap.

What would be the best method to flatten the lid. I know that ive heard people who bolt the lid onto a piece of strong flat steel and heat the lid in that spot and hammer it flat but I wanted to check with you guys before I did all of that.

Thanks!

You for sure don't need to put much heat if any to it (they are made out of Alum.) so unless it is really cold where your at, then maybe warm it some in an oven or a little with a propane torch. Set it on a flat surface you can probably straiten it without heat, using a punch or dull chisel and just some light hammering, go easy do a little at a time. Good luck :nod:

Be very careful heating it with a torch, a touch too much and its a puddle. The new gasket will swell and well once it's saturated, but 4mm is alot.

Ya I know it is very delicate metal considered "pot metal" so I will try a minimalistic approach because its only like that right at the front edge where the "float sprockets" are. Presumably a weak spot which doesnt get cinched down when tightening the screws. I will see but I guess ill take a trip to harbor freight and find a nice flat tool, place the lid on a flat piece of wood or metal and tap it gently in that spot with some low heat from a propane torch first.

candyapple66":vmv0qzec said:
Ya I know it is very delicate metal considered "pot metal" so I will try a minimalistic approach because its only like that right at the front edge where the "float sprockets" are. Presumably a weak spot which doesnt get cinched down when tightening the screws. I will see but I guess ill take a trip to harbor freight and find a nice flat tool, place the lid on a flat piece of wood or metal and tap it gently in that spot with some low heat from a propane torch first.

Even a propane torch will melt ZAMAK at around 400 degrees....

I think I would try tapping it into shape very gently with a small brass hammer without heat on a good hard surface like an anvil (one of my most used tools!) or the like.

Don't try to reshape the metal quickly but message it slowly and carefully.

Good luck!

:unsure: If the top is warped that bad,what else is possibly wrong with the carb?What caused the warpage?Might be better off to get another carb and do a good rebuild.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

woodbutcher":2cqv650s said:
:unsure: If the top is warped that bad,what else is possibly wrong with the carb?What caused the warpage?Might be better off to get another carb and do a good rebuild.
Leo
1100's are getting few and far between and for good reason. That GM brand of carb known as quadrapuke has a habit of warping the top and causing choke binding. You can get a fixture from Summit to straighten them out. I'm thinking (here goes the low tech redneck again) maybe a piece of 1/4" plate steel, a shim in the middle of the top and the screws from it in the area that's warped. Screw it down to give slight pressure in the warped area and put it in a 200 degree oven for a few hours. Around here, leaving it in the sun all day would do it, at least lately.
That's about as low tech redneck as you can go

woodbutcher":2yumrwa6 said:
:unsure: Now that just might do the trick.Just remember to let it cool in the oven. Otherwise the frosting will run off
Leo

I could NOT let that go.

Fixt

Yea I decided to heat it up with a lighter and tap on it with a nice flat wrench it worked good enough where gasket fit good hopefully no leaks lol. My engines rebuilt so on weekend will hopefully fire 'er up for the first time in 6 months lol perfection takes time.

Back