Ordered parts, almost ready to build!

schaferstephen

After many changed ideas and 3 years of waiting, I finally ordered the big goodies for my engine... Here is everything I've ordered, along with a couple things I am still working on.

250 block: had it rebuilt, the shop bored it 40 over, balanced the crank, magnafluxed it, new stock oil pump, new timing chain, and skimmed the deck.

Head: Ordered Mike's head with a 2V intake and the street/strip port work. Going to run a Holley 500cfm 2bbl carb, probably following (or near to) the specs outlied by 62Ranchero. I am not sure what the chamber volume will be but I assume between 50 and 55cc. I am waiting to cc the head because I am going to install the early 300 rods and order custom pistons, so the dish in the pistons will depend on my final chamber volume. I want to get my compression as high as I can and still be able to run pump gas...

Cam/Valve train: Ordered the 1.65 full roller rockers and appropriate hardware from mike. I am using his 274-108 hydraulic cam, and will have it degreed to the recommended 4 degrees advance.

Ignition: Currently using a DUI. Not sure if I will recurve it or just switch over to a MSD system...

Drivetrain: I bought a set of 17" Bullitt rims and the shackle kit to convert an 8.8" Explorer rear end over. I am planning on using a 3.23 (hopefully limmited slip). I am ordering the gears from Modern Driveline to convert my 4-cyl T5 transmission over to WC V8 gears, and I am thinking I will go for a hydraulic clutch and ditch the Z-bar. In the front I have 1" spacers for my rims, and a kit from SSBC for front discs.

That's all I can think of right now... I'll post pictures as this starts to come together. If anyone has some advice or something I should/shouldn't be doing... Let me know!

Thanks to everyone for all the help in the past - can't wait to get this all put together.

Just got off the phone with classic auto air... they are redoing my under dash unit and I finally ordered everything else I need to get cold air blowing again.. Awww yeah!!

you're go power sounds great, the SSBC front disks are great, are you going power brakes?

what about suspension? how old is your rubber? and springs? what about your steering box and links's...

I ask these questions because I replaced did the drive train first too, but it was the wheels that needed the most love. lesson learned, always go ground up to help keep rubber ON/hugging the road.

I've always wanted to do a manual rack-n-pinion for the steering, sounds like you're already going 5 lug, so it won't be as difficult with v8 spindles...
on springs, don't go drop springs, they are stiff and hurt my back (and I was only 24 when i did it) find a place to take new springs and remove one leaf, it will lower it 1 inch and make it smooth.

If you ordered the yella-terra full roller 1.65 rockers you need to block the oil supply at the block otherwise you will have an oil leak at the rear of the head gasket since you no longer need oil supply to the rear rocker arm stand.
You also need more oil to the distributor gear since the major oil supply via the rocker shaft has been blocked.
If you are using the vehicle for street use a 108 L/C camshaft is not recommended.
Since you purchased Mikes head all you need is a 110 L/C & for a smoother idle a 112 L/C camshaft for even a better idle for street use.
Food for thought??

Let me try to answer all the questions... as far as steering and suspension I have replaced everything but the steering box. New tie rods, spindles with the brakes, springs in front and back, new bushings, everything has been replaced. Rack and pinion or other steering upgrades are definitely something I'm going to look into.

As far as the cam, from what I understand the 250 can handle a much more aggressive cam than the 200. I am not running any power accessories that need me to hold a lot of vacuum and I like the lower power band of the 108. And hey - a streetable engine is something that uses pump gas and idles under 1000 rpm, right?!

With the 108 L/C camshaft you will need to idle it at least 1000-1100 rpm. At least you don't have a C4 to put idle drag on the engine. Best of luck on your build. Bill

Hmm well if that is the case I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it is too choppy I'll order a 110 and swap them out.

Back