RPM with no tach?

Nick1966

I am not a mechanic.
1966 Ford Mustang, I6, 200ci, Automatic

I have been trying to get a reading on my RPM's so I can adjust my carb but can't seem to get a reading. I am using this meter:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 31988_0_0_

I understand I am supposed to hook the positive terminal of the meter to the negative terminal of the coil and the negative terminal of the meter to ground. I tried this and can't get a stable reading. The meter will jump around and eventually zero out.

Any clue as to what I would be doing wrong here?

Is there another way to see my RPM?

Thanks as always!

Newbie Nick

Hmm. My dwell meter is entirely analog and connects the same way. I'd posit that you don't have the meter dial on the correct setting.

Just to verify, the black lead should go to COM and the red lead to the + plug on the meter. Red lead to coil negative, black lead to ground, meter on 6cyl RPM, not Dwell.

Are you running points or electronic ignition?

Ok, so positive lead to positive on coil, make sure meter is set to 6cy, ground lead to ground. Am I missing something?

Nick1966":2o2ge4di said:
Ok, so positive lead to positive on coil, make sure meter is set to 6cy, ground lead to ground. Am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something, that would be hooked up backwards. Meters Pos (Red) lead goes to the Neg on coil (the point side), Yes on the Meters Neg (Black) lead goes to ground somewhere on the Engine or Body. Yes you do set the Meter to 6 cylinder and when switched to Tach its for an RPM reading. You can also switch the Meter to Dwell to check that your points are set correctly. The best order when doing the tune up settings is to 1. Gap your Spark Plugs (to .034) and install, 2. set the Dwell on points (to 39 degrees), 3. then set your timing (to 12 degrees BTDC) 4. Next set your carb mixture to the lean best idle and last set the idle RPM (500 in Drive with brake set). For the best results you may need to repeat step 4. Note: These specs are for a stock 1966 Mustang 200 with an Auto trans. Good luck :nod:

Figured out why I couldn't get an rpm reading, the Cap was on backwards!! I can not get a reading and will hopefully be able to get this running smoother tomorrow! (Weather Permitting) Thanks for the help!!

Hopefully you get your car up and running. Tuning can be hard without a tach. I bought a mini tach for my mustang that goes in the clock insert. My car didn't come with a clock so I installed this mini tach http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php ... -all#tachs

It works great and almost looks stock. Unless your wanting to keep it all original its a great application. I highly recommend it to all of the Fordsix forum if yall haven't seen it.

Back