Carberator problems

Nathan289

Couple questions,

Brand new rebuilt motor 170ci, .040 over bore, steel shim head gasket, comp cam 252h cam stock valve size, stock exhaust manifold. Ignition timing is at 6*

Installed in a 4 door falcon squire station wagon. Factory bucket seat console car.. trying to keep it original.

Rebuilt autolite 1100 manual choke. Stock original carb.

Can't get it to idle below 8-900 rpms.. plugs indicate lean condition. Idle mixture screw doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Factory manual says 3 - 4 turns out from lightly seated. Anything less than 3 it won't run. I can turn it out to the point it falls out with out a change.

Car runs great from 1000 rpms and up, though it seems to have a miss across the rpm band.. idle to wide open..
Haven't put a vacuum gauge on it yet.
Only vacuum leak I can find is linkage side of throttle shaft. Worn bushings? Are they replace able.

I'm considering the new Holley replacement carb. I have a question on distributor swaps.

Is it possible to swap distributor drive gears from an early 1/4" oil pump drive and install it on a later non spark control valve 5/16" oil pump drive distributor?
I have a brand new oil pump that is 1/4" drive and I don't know of any newer distributors that will work. I don't want to swap oil pumps.

Thanks,
Nathan

Set the initial timing to 16-18 and see how it idles ( vac adv unhooked when setting ) A dist recurve will be ( should be ) your next move

Really? That much initial timing?

When I first fired the engine I had it running and the initial was way retarded. I had to advance the timing like 25*

Know anyone that recurred distributors?

Thanks,

Will give the timing adjustment a try.

Nathan

Falconsedandelivery,

Thanks, that worked.. kinda.. I'll explain..
I bumped timing, disconnected vacuum, fired her up and warmed her up. At 16* she knocked so I backed off timing until the knock went away. Which was @ 10* since we have winter gas already and its oxygenated I backed timing down to 8*. I then dialed in mixture and idle speed.. idle mixture screw actually worked and made a difference as I adjusted it. Its now set at 2.5 turns out from seated. Idle speed is at 650ish.. it bounces a little..

I hooked up the vacuum advance(spark control/loadocrap) checked timing still at 8*.. reved the engine and it wouldn't return to idle.. stuck at 1180 and timing was at 20* with my knock noise.. I shut it off disconnect the vacuum and started it back up.. back at 8* and back 650..

So I'm thinking I have a distributor problem.. advances but doesn't return.. could be bad spring inside. Could be diaphragm.. since its the original distributor I'm thinking of replacing the whole darn thing with a rebuilt unit.

Unless anyone else has a suggestion..

I knew someone here did, just couldnt remember who.

I dont spend as much time here as I used to.

I ordered a vacuum advance module and plan on installing it and going from there.

I'll pm you once I find out if I have more problems.

Well if its not the advance canister,

That would leave internal binding inside the distributor or carburetor issues.

If its carb issues it would have to be with the spark control valve circuit applying vacuum when it shouldn't.

Back