274/274 110 cam vs 264/264 110

65-coupe

I have read about choosing cam but still not sure which will be best for me. I already have the Alum head with the performance porting, 1.65 roller rockers, DUI recurved, headers with dual 2" with x pipe, T-5 trans. I have the 264/264 110 cam now. But I am about to rebuild my bottom end with flat top piston, bored .030 over and balanced. I am thinking of going with the 274/274 110 cam when I do this. My C/R will be 10.5. This will be a street car but I want the most performance I can get. I have a Holley 390 right now but will be buying the EZ-EFI for the jeep inline 6. It uses the 4bbl throttle body but only uses 2bbls with 2 injestors. It is about 500CFM.

Thanks Brian

Brian, the CI head flows so well I would stick with the 264-264-110.
If you go to big on the camshaft you will kill your bottom end torque.

What octane fuel are you planning on running? Your dynamic compression will be fairly high with the 264/110 cam and 10.5:1 static compression, 8.6:1 - 8.8:1 depending on cam timing. The 274/110 cam will drop it slightly to 8.3:1 - 8.5:1

Cheers, Jeremy

XMFalcon221":159zfmu8 said:
What octane fuel are you planning on running? Your dynamic compression will be fairly high with the 264/110 cam and 10.5:1 static compression, 8.6:1 - 8.8:1 depending on cam timing. The 274/110 cam will drop it slightly to 8.3:1 - 8.5:1

Cheers, Jeremy

I will be running 93

With 93 octane I would be leaning towards a cam with a later intake closing than the 264 to reduce your DCR.

If your aiming for performance I don't think that the 274 would be too much cam for your spec, especially with the manual trans. You may still need to install this cam straight up or at a maximum of 2° advanced.

You could also go to a cam with a 112° LSA to delay the intake closing, this will shift your power range up but once again with your engine spec, manual trans and a balanced bottom end the higher rpm performance may be desirable. I have no experience with the EFI that your planning on running but the smoother idle and higher vacuum of a 112° LSA may help with the electronic fuel injection?

Are you locked in at 10.5 compression with your build or are you able to reduce this slightly?

In My Opinion , First Run the Bigger Cam , BUT ditch The Throttle Body Injection ( it wont work well with a 110 lobe sep anyway) , Put on a Holley 600 or Eld 600 more power WAY Less Money !

FalconSedanDelivery":452844x0 said:
In My Opinion , First Run the Bigger Cam , BUT ditch The Throttle Body Injection ( it wont work well with a 110 lobe sep anyway) , Put on a Holley 600 or Eld 600 more power WAY Less Money !

I talked with FAST more today about my setup. They said the Jeep one would work better but either should work. It only needs 8 vac at idle to work. Mine is at 12. Not sure which way I am going yet. The Jeep one only uses one side and two injectors. It is good for up to 300HP. I like the idea of EFI over the carb. I just need to make sure before I order anything.

Back