DUI Timing

xrwagon

Hey all, my old wagon is getting there, just done some gearbox issues, small leak and very low on gear oil, fixed that, i am running 30 degree’s total on the timing, now the little motor i have is a 200, 221 head, standard bore and bottom end, i just re gasketed the motor, got the steel shim head gasket as some may already know, it has the custom pipes on her, a little intake porting was done, we have run over 34 timing in it before on 98 octane fuel and she was fine, on the pulldown i checked carefully for any signs of wear or detonation, was none, head has been milled at one stage. I know the website says 34-36 and up to .050 plug gap, i was thinking of going to 36 and a .036 plug gap or 34 timing total, with a little more comp now from the much thinner head gasket i wanted some thoughts, i can’t afford dyno testing her.

i would run 34-36 degrees total timing, and .040" plug gaps. if your current setup ran fine on 98 octane, it should do just was well if you bump the compression a bit.

Thanks for that, i can’t remember last time, but i think she was 12, so 36 all up, only has 10 now and its noticeable the drop in performance with the fouled plugs.

so my classic inline DUI dissy is wrong? What should it be based on the mildness of my motor, i know its engraved under the cap or base with some numbers

sounds about right, what should it be? or should i wait until it gets a cam and more head work or just forget it

The Dist will need to be recurved, it will need to be limited for total advance , I offer that service , its Not something I can teach you

You are giving up a lot of low end torque & midrange power, cause your curve total is way too high.
Your distributor needs professional help. Bill

Image234.jpg

That's the basic start, see http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27815.

Bill and FSP are far ahead of L6...any Falcon six can accept a lot of initial timing compared to the placards above, and both guys fiddle with the amount of advance to suit the bumping up on initial timing to suit modern, oxygenated unleaded gas.

I'm an anti initial timing guy, but that's because I believe it hurts emissions, while Bill and Faron simply don't follow any of the standard FoMoCo recomendations becasue modern gasoline ins't the same as 1967 pump super. They recon the DUI is all wrong for any I6, as the degree of advance looses lots of power and economy everywhere.

The only way to fix it is tell em what compression, carb and headwork you are running, and send it to them, and they'll recurve to suit,

Not one of there I6 cutomers has complained here about the great work they do.

Faron does do deals with Aussies, did some pretty cool Duraspark stuff a while back.

For looking after a 46 year old engine, don't skimp on the igntion...

Yep been doing International Recurves for quite a few years, the Down Under Guys are my biggest Clients outside the states , with Finland coming in second

Back